Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mauricio Aniche <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/01 02:52:37 UTC

Re: @Transactional Spring Annotation in a Struts2 Action does not work

Yes, I am. Everything works fine when I don't try to use Spring
transactional AOP!

Mauricio

Posted by Frans Thamura <fr...@meruvian.org>.
discuss about this

is it possible the working version share to us

so we can see the thing here

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 11:57 PM, dusty <du...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> txr.execute(new TransactionalExecution(){
>>     public void execute() {
>>
>>         Foo foo = fooService.getFoo(id);
>>         if(foo != null) throw new FooException("No such foo exists!");
>>
>>         foo.setName(name);
>>
>>     }
>> });
>>
>> TransactionalExecution is just an interface with a single method
>> execute() that exists just so we can create anonymous instances of it to
>> pass to txr, which would be an instance of TransactionalExecutionRunner:
>>
>> public class JpaSpringTransactionalExecutionRunner implements
>> TransactionalExecutionRunner {
>>
>>     @Transactional(propagation=Propagation.REQUIRED)
>>     public void execute(TransactionalExecution t) {
>>         t.execute();
>>     }
>>
>>     @Transactional(propagation=Propagation.REQUIRES_NEW)
>>     public void executeRequiresNew(TransactionalExecution t) {
>>         t.execute();
>>     }
>>
>>     @Transactional(propagation=Propagation.MANDATORY)
>>     public void executeMandatory(TransactionalExecution t) {
>>         t.execute();
>>     }
>>
>> }
>>
>> (I'm sure you can figure out what the TransactionalExecutionRunner
>> interface says). You'd then declare the transactionalExecutionRunner
>> bean in your Spring context and have it injected into every action
>> created by the Spring object factory through autowiring for example, and
>> you're good to go. The cool thing about this is that your controller
>> code stays very clear and to the point with minimal persistence bloat,
>> and that any call to a service method from within a
>> TransactionalExecution will automatically run within the ongoing
>> transaction.
>>
>> As for your configuration, other than your applicationContext.xml file
>> you shouldn't have to do anything other than include the spring plugin
>> jar in your classpath. The jar comes with a struts-default.xml file that
>> sets Spring as the default object factory. Of course, it can never hurt
>> to explicitly set the objectFactory; I'm using
>> struts.objectFactory=org.apache.struts2.spring.StrutsSpringObjectFactory,
>> but struts.objectFactory=spring should work equally well.
>>
>> -- Jeroen
>>
>>> Hi Jeroen,
>>>
>>> The problem is that I am not a big fan of services layer. Sometimes it
>>> looks
>>> very anemic to me. But I totally agree with you when you say the action
>>> should not know about persistence problems, and that's why I want to do
>>> it
>>> via AOP.
>>>
>>> I had the same thought about the problem: the Spring proxy does not work
>>> properly with all the magic Struts2 and Reflection do!
>>>
>>> I tried to open a bug in the Struts2 JIRA, but they closed it and said
>>> that
>>> it works. I think it should be some kind of spring or struts

Frans Thamura
Meruvian. Java and Enterprise OSS

Mobile: +62 855 7888 699
Blog & Profile: http://frans.thamura.info

We provide services to migrate your apps to Java (web), in amazing
fast and reliable.

Defining text field dynamically and assigning value from array

Posted by Sa...@harvardpilgrim.org.
Hi

I have a requirement to define text field dynamically using a name that
comes from action. Value of the same is available in the value stack, but
in an array.  Somehow struts 2 is not evaluation expression within an
expression. Is there an alternative to achieve the same?

<s:textfield theme="simple" key="%{paramId}" value="%{%{paramId}[0]}"
maxlength="2" size="2" cssClass="monthInput" tabindex="%{sequenceNo}" />

Regards
Sateesh

The information contained in this email message and any attachments may be privileged and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you received this email in error, please notify the sender by reply and delete the message without saving, copying or disclosing it.  Thank you.

Re: @Transactional Spring Annotation in a Struts2 Action does not work

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
You should consider to have a look into the paramsPrepareParams pattern
(see struts-default.xml for a brief description) and to write and use a
TransactionInterceptor. The latter one gives you the same cross cutting
TX approach you want from your @Transational annotation, but in addition
to that it supports lazy loading of hibernate proxied properties when
the view is rendered. Basically, this is similar to the
OpenSessionInView Hibernate pattern.

René Gielen
IT-Neering.net
Saarstrasse 100, 52062 Aachen, Germany
Tel: +49-(0)241-4010770
Fax: +49-(0)241-4010771
http://twitter.com/rgielen

Re: @Transactional Spring Annotation in a Struts2 Action does not work

Posted by Jeroen De Ridder <vo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dustin,

Posted by dusty <du...@yahoo.com>.
Jeroen,

Posted by Jeroen De Ridder <vo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frans Thamura <fr...@meruvian.org>.
will u make a tiny tutori for your work like struts-spring-ajax and
put in the wiki of S2

that will be awesome ;)

Posted by Mauricio Aniche <ma...@gmail.com>.
Wes,

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.

<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jeroen,
>
> The problem is that I am not a big fan of services layer. Sometimes it looks
> very anemic to me. But I totally agree with you when you say the action
> should not know about persistence problems, and that's why I want to do it
> via AOP.
>
> I had the same thought about the problem: the Spring proxy does not work
> properly with all the magic Struts2 and Reflection do!
>
> I tried to open a bug in the Struts2 JIRA, but they closed it and said that
> it works. I think it should be some kind of spring or struts configuration I
> am not doing right.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mauricio
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Jeroen De Ridder <vo...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> You really shouldn't be making your Struts 2 actions @Transactional. Doing
>> that causes Spring to create a proxy so it can put some extra
>> transaction-handling logic between the method call and the actual method.
>> The thing is, Struts 2 and OGNL rely heavily on reflection on the action
>> classes which simply does not work at all with the proxies created by
>> Spring.
>>
>> Regardless, making your actions @Transactional means mixing persistence
>> concerns with controller logic in the same class. You should consider
>> keeping the two separated. For example, the service approach is a good
>> start:
>> http://struts.apache.org/2.0.14/docs/struts-2-spring-2-jpa-ajax.html.
>>

>>  Yes, I am. Everything works fine when I don't try to use Spring
>>> transactional AOP!
>>>
>>> Mauricio

Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice