Posted to user@poi.apache.org by vemuri phani <me...@yahoo.com> on 2008/03/14 20:54:46 UTC

resending : how do i extract bulleted lists from word document

I have a word document and I have some bulleted text
in it. I want to extract the text from  it and at the
same time I want to distinguish text that appears in
bulleted list from the one that doesn't.
In other words, I am looking to get all the bulleted
lists that are present in a range/paragraph, the get
to the type of bullets used ( if possible) and finally
to the text.
Is reading bulleted list supported?.
Thanks,
-Pawan.

Re: resending : how do i extract bulleted lists from word document

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Mon, 19 May 2008, Pavan wrote:
> Which properties on the style do I check for the existense of the
> bullets?

No idea, sorry.

> If bulleted list is in fact not supported, I will look into adding
> support for this. I first want to make sure that it is indeed not
> supported.

I think it's fair to say that with HWPF, if you can't find the code, the
feature isn't document, and google doesn't show anything up, then it isn't
supported.

If you do manage to add this in, please do submit the patch, and we'll
try to get it into poi

Thanks
Nick

Re: resending : how do i extract bulleted lists from word document

Posted by Pavan <me...@yahoo.com>.
Nick Burch <nick <at> torchbox.com> writes:

> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, vemuri phani wrote:
> > I have a word document and I have some bulleted text in it. I want to
> > extract the text from it and at the same time I want to distinguish text
> > that appears in bulleted list from the one that doesn't. In other words,
> > I am looking to get all the bulleted lists that are present in a
> > range/paragraph, the get to the type of bullets used ( if possible) and
> > finally to the text.
>
> Have you tried getting the paragraph, fetching the style for it, then
> checking the properties on that?
>
> Otherwise, I'd suggest doing a simple file, one paragraph. Save that, then
> take a copy and turn bullets on. Compare the two files with
> poifs.dev.POIFSViewer, spot which bit holds the bullet info, then tweak
> hwpf to expose that to you
>
> Nick

Which properties on the style do I check for the existense of the bullets? I did
some searching in this list and I saw that paragraphProperties.getIlvl() might
have that information, but it's always returning 9, with and without the bullet
list. If bulleted list is in fact not supported, I will look into adding support
for this. I first want to make sure that it is indeed not supported.
Thanks,
-Pavan.

Re: resending : how do i extract bulleted lists from word document

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.