Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Adrian Nadeau <an...@evolvingsolutions.ca> on 2005/01/17 05:59:40 UTC

Documentation

Hello,

We have just currently installed Jetspeed 2 on Tomcat 5.0.30.  We are
wondering if there are any documentation or resources out there to help us
get started on development of JSR 168 Compliant Portlets and deploying them
to Jetspeed 2?  We have added a few test Portlets fine but we would like to
better understand how Tomcat 5 actually deploys the war files and how we can
update Portlets within our testing environment without re-exporting them as
a new .war file every time we make a change.  Any information would be
great, thank you in advance.

Regards,

Adrian Nadeau
VP, Development
Evolving Solutions...Technology for changing
anadeau@evolvingsolutions.ca
www.evolvingsolutions.ca
506.633.2012

Re: Documentation

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Adrian Nadeau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have just currently installed Jetspeed 2 on Tomcat 5.0.30.  We are
> wondering if there are any documentation or resources out there to help us
> get started on development of JSR 168 Compliant Portlets and deploying them
> to Jetspeed 2?  We have added a few test Portlets fine but we would like to
> better understand how Tomcat 5 actually deploys the war files and how we can
> update Portlets within our testing environment without re-exporting them as
> a new .war file every time we make a change.  Any information would be
> great, thank you in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Adrian Nadeau
> VP, Development
> Evolving Solutions...Technology for changing
> anadeau@evolvingsolutions.ca
> www.evolvingsolutions.ca
> 506.633.2012

Well I've been on a little vacation from the jetspeed user mailing list.
I've come back to see what I find to be an overwhelming theme. People
are saying (and I paraphrase) "Jetspeed-2 looks cool man, but where the
hell are the docs dude!"

The answer is, not much there. But we're working on it.
I see Ate wrote a nice document on User Attributes:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/user-attributes.html

We still have a long way to go with docs
To answer your questions:

I think you can look at the existing portlet applications under
/applications for examples of how to write JSR 168 compliant portlets.
Also see the Gems project over at java.net. We hope to get Gems moved
into Apache Portals in the near future.

For deployment, currently you have to redeploy the war file to pick up
new changes to any Java code unless your application server supports
'hot deploying'. The Tomcat 5 deployment is a little messy right now and
we are experiencing some race conditions where both Jetspeed and Tomcat
try to deploy the same portlet application. Randy is working on getting
that fixed. Also, there is an open issue to pick up changes to the
portlet.xml and redeploy:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-190

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: Documentation

Posted by "Scott T. Weaver" <sc...@binary-designs.net>.
Hi Adrian,

The wiki might be a good place to start,
http://wiki.apache.org/portals/Jetspeed2.

Adrian Nadeau wrote:

>Hello,
>
>We have just currently installed Jetspeed 2 on Tomcat 5.0.30.  We are
>wondering if there are any documentation or resources out there to help us
>get started on development of JSR 168 Compliant Portlets and deploying them
>to Jetspeed 2?  We have added a few test Portlets fine but we would like to
>better understand how Tomcat 5 actually deploys the war files and how we can
>update Portlets within our testing environment without re-exporting them as
>a new .war file every time we make a change.  Any information would be
>great, thank you in advance.
>
>Regards,
>
>Adrian Nadeau
>VP, Development
>Evolving Solutions...Technology for changing
>anadeau@evolvingsolutions.ca
>www.evolvingsolutions.ca
>506.633.2012

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."  - Admiral Hyman Rickover

*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <we...@apache.org>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
* OpenEdit, Website Content Management    *
*     <http://www.openedit.org>           *