Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by dalchri000 <da...@hotmail.com> on 2008/03/14 03:42:32 UTC

Spam getting through: server reached --max-children

I've got a boat load of these in my maillog:

Mar  9 04:39:12 database spamd[3881]: prefork: server reached --max-children
setting, consider raising it

It occurs whenever we get a burst of spam and all the child threads are
busy.  I'm using a sendmail, spamass-milter, SpamAssassin configuration.
The messages are not even analyzed when all the child threads are busy.
They come straight through without any X-Spam headers.  I've upped
--max-children to 15.  That worked for a few months but not anymore.

What can I do to make the server wait on spamd?  Is it a spamd, spamc,
spamass-milter, or sendmail setting?  Most of the time the server is hardly
working so I'm confident it could catch up.  We just get a whole bunch of
these spam messages at once.

Re: Spam getting through: server reached --max-children

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
dalchri000 wrote:

> What can I do to make the server wait on spamd?  Is it a spamd, spamc,
> spamass-milter, or sendmail setting?  Most of the time the server is
> hardly

If you had a postfix setup, you would (typically) adjust the max smtpd
daemons in master.cf - I'm sure you've got some similar setting in your
sendmail setup.

/Per Jessen, Zürich