Posted to users@felix.apache.org by James Carroll <ja...@verizon.net> on 2009/07/05 06:20:48 UTC

Can't start framework

I'm trying to get started with Felix and have run into a problem right
off the bat.  I downloaded the framework (the site said 1.8.1 was
available, but 1.8.0 seems to have come down), unzipped it, and tried to
start it up. Here's what I got:

jim@Cheyenne:~/Programs/Felix/felix-1.8.0/bin$ java -jar felix.jar

Welcome to Felix.
=================

Auto-properties install: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to
cache bundle: file:bundle/org.apache.felix.shell-1.2.0.jar
Auto-properties install: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to
cache bundle: file:bundle/org.apache.felix.shell.tui-1.2.0.jar
Auto-properties install: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to
cache bundle: file:bundle/org.apache.felix.bundlerepository-1.4.0.jar
Auto-properties start: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to
cache bundle: file:bundle/org.apache.felix.shell-1.2.0.jar
Auto-properties start: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to
cache bundle: file:bundle/org.apache.felix.shell.tui-1.2.0.jar
Auto-properties start: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to
cache bundle: file:bundle/org.apache.felix.bundlerepository-1.4.0.jar

Being kinda new I can't say where to begin to find out how to fix this
so if someone could point this noob in the right direction I would be
much obliged.

Re: Can't start framework

Posted by Aaron Zeckoski <aa...@vt.edu>.
Somewhat unrelated (though not entirely), but if you are looking for
an easy way to launch OSGi frameworks like felix then you might want
to checkout pax runner.
http://paxrunner.ops4j.org/display/paxrunner/Documentation

It makes it very easy to simply create your bundles and put them in a
dir and then execute them in felix or whatever framework you prefer.
-AZ

--
Aaron Zeckoski (azeckoski (at) vt.edu)
Senior Research Engineer - CARET - University of Cambridge

Re: Can't start framework

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 7/6/09 5:33 AM, Jools wrote:
> Hi Stuart,
>
> Thanks for the pointer, I'll take a look and post my comments back to the
> list.

Yes, starting from scratch is an option. I think the main thing that
would be nice is a multi-platform installer that can set up a
daemon/service for the framework as well as making it possible to run
manually.

-> richard

Re: Can't start framework

Posted by Jools <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stuart,

Re: Can't start framework

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: Can't start framework

Posted by Jools <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Can't start framework

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/7/6 Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>

> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Jools<jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Doh, yes. Should have read the message.....
> >
> > As you can tell, I'm a bit of a newbie here myself, but I recall at the
> osgi
> > conference there is an RFC for providing a standard way to laugh osgi
> > application frameworks.
> >
> > I assume Felix will be wanting something which follows this FRC ?
>
> It already implements it.

yes, as Karl says Felix already supports the new launching RFC

for those interested the code for the current Felix launcher is here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/main/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/main/Main.java

it's relatively straightforward - but I was suggesting people might
want to look at the Felix installers subproject, which is supposed
to provide installable images of Felix (these could then make the
example bundle URLs absolute based on the install directory)

   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/installers

IMHO fixing the installers is better than changing the launcher as
the launcher is actually doing the right thing (resolving relative
URLs based on the current working directory) so the problem is
really the relative URLs in the default Felix configuration

unfortunately, the Felix installers subproject has stalled recently
because no-one has time to maintain it - so if someone could
help out here it would be much appreciated :)

regards,

> Karl
>
> > --Jools

> >> that

> >> felix

> >> actually I think James just needs to use the following command:
> >>
> >>   java -jar bin/felix.jar
> >>
> >> from the directory above the "bin" directory - this is because the
> >> Felix launcher is basic and does not try to guess where it's been
> >> installed (you'll notice the example URLs are relative to the main
> >> Felix installation directory)
> >>
> >> [ http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-usage-documentation.html ]
> >>
> >> we would like to provide an 'installer' that could update the example
> >> config file with the correct installed location, but other issues keep
> >> taking precedence - of course if someone would like to contribute
> >> a patch to provide a Felix installer (or improve the Felix launcher)
> >> feel free to attach it to a new task/feature on JIRA
> >>
> >> Alternatively, you can specify the location for the cache directory in
> the

> right
> tried

> file:bundle/org.apache.felix.bundlerepository-1.4.0.jar
> file:bundle/org.apache.felix.bundlerepository-1.4.0.jar

> this
> be

> >> --
> >> Cheers, Stuart
> >>

> --
> Karl Pauls
> karlpauls@gmail.com

Cheers, Stuart

Re: Can't start framework

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: Can't start framework

Posted by Jools <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Can't start framework

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
BTW, there wasn't a convenience distro release for Felix framework
1.8.1, which only contained a few specific fixes. If you want to use
that version, just download the org.apache.felix.main-1.8.1.jar file and
replace bin/felix.jar with it.

Look at the change log to see if it is worthwhile for you; if not, just
wait for the next release.

-> richard

Re: Can't start framework

Posted by James Carroll <ja...@verizon.net>.

Re: Can't start framework

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/7/5 Jools <jo...@gmail.com>

> Hi James,
>
> You'll need write permissions in the directory you are executing in so that
> the cache directory can be made.
>
> Or you can specify the bundle cache dir as the first argument to the felix
> command.
>
> java -jar felix.jar <cachedir>

actually I think James just needs to use the following command:

   java -jar bin/felix.jar

from the directory above the "bin" directory - this is because the
Felix launcher is basic and does not try to guess where it's been
installed (you'll notice the example URLs are relative to the main
Felix installation directory)

[ http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-usage-documentation.html ]

we would like to provide an 'installer' that could update the example
config file with the correct installed location, but other issues keep
taking precedence - of course if someone would like to contribute
a patch to provide a Felix installer (or improve the Felix launcher)
feel free to attach it to a new task/feature on JIRA

Alternatively, you can specify the location for the cache directory in the
> config.properties in the ./config dir.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --Jools
>
> 2009/7/5 James Carroll <ja...@verizon.net>
>
> > I'm trying to get started with Felix and have run into a problem right
> > off the bat.  I downloaded the framework (the site said 1.8.1 was
> > available, but 1.8.0 seems to have come down), unzipped it, and tried to
> > start it up. Here's what I got:
> >
> > jim@Cheyenne:~/Programs/Felix/felix-1.8.0/bin$ java -jar felix.jar
> >
> > Welcome to Felix.
> > =================
> >
> > Auto-properties install: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to
> > cache bundle: file:bundle/org.apache.felix.shell-1.2.0.jar
> > Auto-properties install: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to
> > cache bundle: file:bundle/org.apache.felix.shell.tui-1.2.0.jar
> > Auto-properties install: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to
> > cache bundle: file:bundle/org.apache.felix.bundlerepository-1.4.0.jar
> > Auto-properties start: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to
> > cache bundle: file:bundle/org.apache.felix.shell-1.2.0.jar
> > Auto-properties start: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to
> > cache bundle: file:bundle/org.apache.felix.shell.tui-1.2.0.jar
> > Auto-properties start: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to
> > cache bundle: file:bundle/org.apache.felix.bundlerepository-1.4.0.jar
> >

> > Being kinda new I can't say where to begin to find out how to fix this
> > so if someone could point this noob in the right direction I would be
> > much obliged.
> >
> > Thanks,

Cheers, Stuart

Re: Can't start framework