Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2014/06/20 23:19:01 UTC

[DISCUSS] Minimum JDK in 1.6.1

As pointed out by Dave on ACCUMULO-2808, it looks like ACCUMULO-2808 /
ACCUMULO-2786 causes the monitor to require Java 7.

Personally, I'm okay with this, but obviously this was not expected or
intended.

Since we're still targeting Java 6 in our Accumulo build, the other
Accumulo services will still run in JRE6, and our code is still JRE6
compatible (even if we build with JDK7). If building with JDK7 fixed the
issue and produced a monitor service that ran fine in JRE6, I'd say no
problem: we build with JDK7, while targeting JRE6. However, I don't think
that will work. I think the monitor will just fail at runtime rather than
compile time (if somebody has time to check, I'd appreciate confirmation).

So, our choices seem to be:

1. Make note of this requirement in the release notes for 1.6.1 and target
JRE7 in future 1.6 builds, or
2. Back out the changes for ACCUMULO-2808 from 1.6.1, and redo
ACCUMULO-2786 with some other implementation.

(It should be noted that Java 7 is expected to be EOL in April 2015; the
announcement was already made, so people should be migrating to 8 already,
if possible)

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Re: [DISCUSS] Minimum JDK in 1.6.1

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Posthumous agree on the all summarized points.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bill Havanki <bh...@clouderagovt.com>.

--
// Bill Havanki