Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/10 03:02:15 UTC

InstallApacheFlex badge installer

Tomasz,

I need your help to finish up the badge installer.  After seeing the
feedback we are getting regarding the confusion caused by the .AIR app, I
think it is better to just install either the .dmg file or the .exe file
based on the current platform.

Can you modify the action button(install) click to just navigate to the
"appURL" instead of invoking the airSWF api?  This would trigger a download
for the installer and the user can just open the downloaded file for the
installation to begin.  Everything else can remain the same.  You can test
with this URL for the .exe:
http://people.apache.org/~bigosmallm/installapacheflex/InstallApacheFlex.exe

The other alternative for me is to use the assets you created and create a
simple badge in Flex - I dont have Flash Pro.  But that would cause all
your hard work of creating the smallest possible swf to go to waste.

Please let me know if you can make this change some time soon?

Thanks,
Om

Re: AW: AW: InstallApacheFlex badge installer

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/12/12 8:56 AM, "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>
wrote:

> I Guess that this would have to be something the tool-builders would have to
> do. So if this is a permanent "problem" that will not be resolveable, perhaps
> the tool builders could introduce some checks for this.
> For example I could immagine that if we were to contact the guys from
> Jetbrains to adjust their Flex SDK import tool, they could tell the users
> what's wrong ... guess the Adobe guys would have to do something similar.
>
> I think there is no way to get the people to read ... not even if it were
> possible to have a file in blinking red colour in any directory listing.
>
> One other option would be to have a really noticable popup to appear when
> downloading from the Adobe Flex page. When downloading the archive most people
> - like me - will simply treat it's content as complete bundle.
I noticed the other day that Apache HTTPD has a windows installer.  I want
to make Om's AIR app our installer.  Then I think we can put popups in your
face and you don't need to read a readme first.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

AW: AW: InstallApacheFlex badge installer

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Unfortunatley I stumbled into this pit too … my bad that it was related to me not reading the readme correctly.

Would it be possible to distribute the osmf and textlayout libraries similar to the "external“ stuff in the compiler itself? I think we do need some sort of FDK that can be used without having to download additional stuff and placing this in the FDK.

I think that there might be a lot of people - like me - that don’t read the readme ;-)

Chris

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Gautam Pandey <gk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am also getting the same  'unable to load SWC textLayout.swc' . Step
> to reproduce this issue.
> 1. Get the Apache Flex SDK 4.8 installed using Om's given installer.
> 2. Add  Apache Flex SDK 4.8 to your Flash Builder. For me its Flash
> Builder 4.5 and OS is Window 7.
> 3. Try to compile my attached test project.
> and I am getting above compile error.
> Please find the attached snap of compilation error also.
>

> Thanks
> Gautam

Gautam,

This issue has been fixed now.  Please look at
FLEX-33106<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33106>for more
details.

I also tried it with the project you have attached.  I dont get any errors
while compiling.

Posted by Gautam Pandey <gk...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:22 AM, Tomasz Maciąg | Fuse Collective <
t.maciag@fusecollective.com> wrote:

> Can you modify the action button(install) click to just navigate to the
>> "appURL" instead of invoking the airSWF api?  This would trigger a
>> download
>> for the installer and the user can just open the downloaded file for the
>> installation to begin.
>>
> I've updated badge. You can switch mode in HTML to download (navigate to
> the "appURL") or install (works the same as before). That works for you?
> Right now it works with navigateToURL but I could change it to
> FileReference solution.
>
> Thanks Tomasz!  I will give it a spin today.  One last requirement is - we
will need to auto detect the os (mac vs. windows) and navigate to the
correct URL - .dmg vs. .exe

Right now, we dont have a .dmg build up on my site.  Can someone using a
Mac run the ant build and attach the .dmg file to the JIRA ticket?  I can
post it up on my site alongside of the .exe build.

>  After seeing the
>> feedback we are getting regarding the confusion caused by the .AIR app,
>>
> BTW. what kind of confusion was there? I think I missed that...

On Macs, the AIR SDK download is a tar file.  The Fzip library we are using
does not uncompress these files.  So, just on the Macs, we are using the
NativeProcess api to invoke tar natively and untar the file.  Because of
this, for Macs, we have to package and distribute the app as a native
installer.  No such issues for windows, because the AIR SDK is available as
a zip file.

Native installers cannot be installed using a badge installer.  There is no
need anyways, because the badge installer is mostly a utility to seamlessly
detect and install the AIR Runtime along with the app.  But since we are
packaging the app natively, we are shipping the AIR runtime with the app
itself (captive runtime)

Messaging this distinction between installers across operating systems
seems to be confusion prone.  Hence I thought ditching the AIR file and
badge installation would make it easier for us and for end users.

But I really like the concept of the badge installer.  I plan to put out a
very simple html snippet that anybody can include in their blogs, websites,
facebook, linked in, etc.  This would help spread Apache Flex better.  And
the badge installer looks very cool, so why not use it ;-)

Posted by Tomasz Maciąg | Fuse Collective <t....@fusecollective.com>.

www.fusecollective.com