Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Antonin Karasek <li...@ceskyserver.cz> on 2005/11/30 09:41:49 UTC

[users@httpd] maybe DOS

Hi everybody,
I'm using Apache 2.0.55 with Prefork MPM on Linux 2.6.x. Yesterday I
experienced really  bad things. Apache forked many proceses and consumed
all of my memory (2GB) and swaps (2GB). The result was, that I had to
restart the server (load > 60).

The bigest problem is, that I'm not able to recognize, what was the reason.

Is there any possible DOS with such result?

Is there any way, how to prevent Apache (or in general a proces) from
consuming all of the memory. For example set Linux not to allow it to
consume more than 1.5 GB of memory.

Many thanks.

Regards
	Tony

Re: [users@httpd] maybe DOS

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 11/30/05, Antonin Karasek <li...@ceskyserver.cz> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm using Apache 2.0.55 with Prefork MPM on Linux 2.6.x. Yesterday I
> experienced really  bad things. Apache forked many proceses and consumed
> all of my memory (2GB) and swaps (2GB). The result was, that I had to
> restart the server (load > 60).
>
> The bigest problem is, that I'm not able to recognize, what was the reason.
>
> Is there any possible DOS with such result?
>
> Is there any way, how to prevent Apache (or in general a proces) from
> consuming all of the memory. For example set Linux not to allow it to
> consume more than 1.5 GB of memory.

There are probably OS settings you can use, but the primary way to
avoid this problem is using the MaxClients directive in httpd.conf.

To find out why it happened, you should check your access_log for that
time period and see if you can find anything unusual.  It may just be
that your site was posted to slashdot or that a database connection
froze or something like that.  If you notice it happening live, it can
be helpful to have mod_status' server-status handler activated so you
can see what is going on.

Joshua.