Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> on 2017/02/01 20:42:09 UTC

Question on how to manage the various branches.

Hi,

regarding the last comment on MNG-5600 by Michael Osipov asking for the
branch the issue has landed in maybe someone please take a look at the
branches I pushed to the core repository and tell me what I should be
doing differently. It's quite time consuming to get the commits from the
pre-reset-master branch back in order. I write here would I have done so
far. If I should be doing something differently, just tell me. The last
branch to be merged to master currently would be DEPMGMT which will need
resolver 1.2.0 with the bugfixes and so on. If you browse to the
shortlog of that branch here:

<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/DEPMGMT>

You get the order in which things would need to get merged to master in
reverse order from top to bottom. So the last branch to merge is DEPMGMT
and the first branch to merge is MNG-2199. Same for the IT repository:

<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-integration-testing.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/DEPMGMT>

Should I really split this even further so that there is one branch per
issue? Is this really needed. Please note that whenever master changes,
I'll have to git pull --rebase all of this in correct order already just
to be able to fast-forward push origin BRANCH:master later.

Christian

Re: Question on how to manage the various branches.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Let's take things slower for everything after 3.5.0

The only one to put speed on is 3.5.0... and I even fear we are going too
fast there

On Wed 1 Feb 2017 at 22:50, Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> wrote:

> Am 02/01/17 um 23:41 schrieb Stephen Connolly:

> >> Yes. That's why I updated the version in the poms to match the ranges
> >> from the ITs.
> >

> > Please don't do that.
> >
> > We have a lot of stuff to merge, and limited build resources, could you
> > just hold back (or better still delete) on any post 3.5.0 changes until
> > after we get 3.5.0 finished, otherwise it is hard for people to know what
> > to review. If you want to keep them ready, I recommend creating PRs on
> > GitHub for them, we can then push the branches back to ASF after we get
> > 3.5.0 out the door
> >

> I can move all of this to Github. No problem. Are the branches ok that
> way? Should I create a pull request per issue? How to handle commits
> depending on each other (e.g. pull request #100 requires pull requests
> #1 to #99 to already be merged)?

Sent from my phone

Re: Question on how to manage the various branches.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

#1 to #99 to already be merged)?

Re: Question on how to manage the various branches.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 02/01/17 um 22:13 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
> 1.2.0 will not be in Maven 3.5.0
>
> Let's get 3.5.0 out the door first

Yes. That's why I updated the version in the poms to match the ranges
from the ITs. The order of the branches already reflects the versions

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
1.2.0 will not be in Maven 3.5.0