Posted to user@commons.apache.org by binodc <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/13 10:41:18 UTC

[math] Newton Solver

Hi
I am trying to implement a Newton Solver for 'n' equations with 'n'
variables.

Can the current implementation of Newton Solver work for this case?

Best Regards
Binodc

Re: [math] Newton Solver

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 13/02/2012 13:48, Gilles Sadowski a écrit :
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 01:59:54PM +0300, binodc wrote:
>> Newton Solver
>> http://commons.apache.org/math/apidocs/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/solvers/NewtonSolver.html
>
> This is a root finder algorithm for which you have to provide an explicit function
> together with its derivative; so certainly not what you are looking for.

For non-linear multivariate functions you should look at the
optimization package rather than the solver or linear packages.

Luc

Re: [math] Newton Solver

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 01:59:54PM +0300, binodc wrote:
> Newton Solver
> http://commons.apache.org/math/apidocs/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/solvers/NewtonSolver.html

This is a root finder algorithm for which you have to provide an explicit function
together with its derivative; so certainly not what you are looking for.

> [...]

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [math] Newton Solver

Posted by binodc <bi...@gmail.com>.
Newton Solver
http://commons.apache.org/math/apidocs/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/solvers/NewtonSolver.html

My equation are currently in String[] format like this
Alex = 1 * Alex * ( 1 - Li ) / Alex * ( 1 - Li ) + Li * ( 1 - Alex )  + 2 *
Alex * ( 1 - Alex ) / Alex * ( 1 - Alex ) + Alex * ( 1 - Alex )  / ( 1 + 2
 )
Li = 1 * Li * ( 1 - Alex ) / Alex * ( 1 - Li ) + Li * ( 1 - Alex )  + 2 * 0
/ Li * ( 1 - Li ) + Li * ( 1 - Li )  / ( 1 + 2  )

This case I hv 2 equations with 2 variables.

Would like to know for 'n' equations with 'n' variables.

Best Regards
Binodc

Re: [math] Newton Solver

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.