Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st> on 2001/07/05 13:29:55 UTC

RE: [C2] Possible Solution for PDF Bug with IE 5.x !??

> > > And a second: I downloaded your example from ulim/iebug and
> experimented
> > > a bit with it. If i save the generatet pdf in a file and put it in
> the
> > > same directory and call it, it works in all browsers, including IE
> 5.5.
> > > How do you explan this? There should be no difference between the
> > > streams?
> >
> > As I said, IE does some checks on the stream, if it arrives via HTTP,
> > which it doesn't do, when opening a file from the filesystem.
>
> No, you misunderstood me. I saved the PDF stream in a file, put it in
> the webapps/<Context>-directory and served it using tomcat via HTTP,
> same context and server as the cocoon output.
> Ever tried this? Try it with your bug sample, it takes just some
> seconds. How do you explain this difference?

AFAI remember the thing that really solved the IE-PDF problems in C1
was setting the Content-Length header. This would fit in the
picture you described...
But this needs to be double-checked...

But AFAI understood setting a Content-Length header in C2 could be a
problem because we have streams - no documents.

So what about creating the cache object first and then serving the
request from cache - so we know about the size of the object.

Maybe Carsten can tell if this possible at all?
--
Torsten

AW: AW: AW: [C2] Possible Solution for PDF Bug with IE 5.x !??

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.

There are mainly two possibilties:
1.) Caching is turned on
    If any component in the pipeline is not cacheable, the whole pdf
    response is not cached, e.g. if you use a sql transformer.
2.) Turn off caching
    Specify the NonCachingStreamPipeline in the cocoon.xconf

Carsten

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Posted by Gritsenko <gr...@home.com>.
no, I'm not fighting, I appreciate your intelligence and stuff, I'm
suggesting you not to fight.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
> On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> > > I don't think it has anything to do with content-length, it has to do
> > > with the filename extension.
> >
> > Sorry, but this cannot be true since in C2 the filename extension is
> > .pdf as declared in the sitemap.
>
> I am not talking about Cocoon2, I've never even used it.

Well, have a look on the subject line then...

> > BTW: Could you guys please fight out this browser war via email.
> >      It is not very productive on the list in any way.
>
> It is extremely productive, as it touches upon the survivial of this and
> other OpenSource projects.

I fear some us might see this differently...
--
Torsten

RE: [C2] Possible Solution for PDF Bug with IE 5.x !??

Posted by Uli Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> > I don't think it has anything to do with content-length, it has to do
> > with the filename extension.
>
> Sorry, but this cannot be true since in C2 the filename extension is
> .pdf as declared in the sitemap.

I am not talking about Cocoon2, I've never even used it.

> BTW: Could you guys please fight out this browser war via email.
>      It is not very productive on the list in any way.

It is extremely productive, as it touches upon the survivial of this and
other OpenSource projects.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung

RE: [C2] Possible Solution for PDF Bug with IE 5.x !??

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Posted by Gritsenko <gr...@home.com>.
Solution 1:

Open your Acrobat, find Options, find something about integration among
Acrobat and Browser
(like 'embed Acobat window in browser' or something like that) - and disable
it.

Result - IE senses PDF - passes it to Acrobat - Acrobat runs in a window,
separate from browser (IE) -
all works fine.

Yes, it requires users to alter their Acrobat options, that's unfortunate,
but it works.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.