Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Allistair Crossley <Al...@QAS.com> on 2004/09/01 10:18:47 UTC

RE: JSP/HTML Encoding

The filter I sent you ensures that the "request" is encoded as UTF-8 which includes the euro character. When you are posting your forms with the euro character I believe your request is set to ISO-8859-1 and you lose the information, hence the ?.

pageEncoding just sets the "response" encoding for the client and does not affect the other direction, i.e client => server.

I am not sure if there is another setting where request character encoding can be set. Perhaps a more experienced Tomcat user knows this

Cheers!

How to pre-determine the browser request character encoding type

Posted by Ben Bookey <be...@gistec-online.de>.
Hi Alistair,

I hope you find time to do your work.... more questions :)

Why should the IE client which is definitely reading/parsing as
ISO-8859-15(i can see this in the IE menu bar), then post to the server
converting the Euro to a questionmark . its rather stupid of IE isn't it,
its definitely reading as ISO-8859-15 then posts anyway as ISO-8859-1 ?

Could you explain in simple english, how the filter ensures that the request
is in utf8 encoded.

regards

Ben
p.s. greetings from germany.