Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Michal Prinke <bo...@icpnet.pl> on 2004/09/23 11:30:11 UTC

Looking for some alternative to Apache Tomcat

Hello,

I'm looking for some free alternative to Apache Tomcat.

I was using one of latest versions of AT on Windows platform
and it really sucked. Deployment of a 10MB .war containing
my Tapestry project takes about 5 minutes. Often needs to be restarted,
can't connect to Oracle or throws "Out of memory" exception
(some memory leak connected to deploying).

Thanks!

Re: Looking for some alternative to Apache Tomcat

Posted by Didier LAFFORGUE <di...@capgemini.com>.
For the deployement, maybe you have an antivirus ;-))))))
More seriously, increase the memory of the jvm for Tomcat.
I have sometimes with Tomcat "Out Of Memory" messages, but only when I redeploy many times my webapp (I think that is the fault of my ant task). In this case, I have to remove my webapp and re install it.
But even under Weblogic, the same "Out Of Memory" messages are present when I often redeploy my webapp (only tested with a non tapestry webapp).

  Did

Re: Theming application through property files by domain name

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Sep 23, 2004, at 10:25 AM, sarah.simbad@women-at-work.org wrote:
> What about using the Visit object for every user, no matter whether
> registered or unregistered and storing the domain name there?
>
> Would that be a bad idea?

Where are you picking up the domain name from?  If its part of the
request, then no need to store it since it is implicitly available in
every request cycle.

	Erik

Re: Theming application through property files by domain name

Posted by sa...@women-at-work.org.
Thanks again!

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Sep 23, 2004, at 9:24 AM, sarah.simbad@women-at-work.org wrote:
> What about the Caching?

Caching up message resources is left up to you, but the default
implementation does this.  You'd want to cache by the appropriate key
information, of course, not just by resource key, but also by the other
factors involved.

> The best scenario is were every client sees the same page,
> that is all instances of are the same. So it can be cached.
> The worst case is were every user sees a different, customized page,
> so it can not be cached.

By customized pages, you mean localized .html templates too?  Your
original message was about message resources, not templates (or so I
thought).  Templates are a completely different issue in regards to
"skinning".

> Assuming you had 3 different page versions serving 3 different target
> groups
> in for instance 3 different coutries/languages, you could maybe
> have 10,000 people seeing version 1, 20,000 seeing version 2 and 5,000
> seeing version 3. so there would only be 3 cached pages necessary
> instead 35,000.
>
> Would Tapestry still do the caching correctly?

Again, pages are a different issue, which is a bit more complex.
Tapestry currently does not do skinning well, with the main trick being
to play tricks with the locale server-side.  Caching for page templates
is handled internally to Tapestry and you won't be able to control it
(I don't think - at least not easily).

> What exactly would I do within getComponentMessagesSrouce() ?
> How can I get  the current domain name and load the configuration
> and maybe make it possible to have a variable I can use as a condition
> to decide which configuration to load?

Look at BaseEngine/AbstractEngine source code for details.  You will
have all the info available that you need, I'm sure.

	Erik

Re: Theming application through property files by domain name

Posted by sa...@women-at-work.org.
Thanks Erik!

What about the Caching?

The best scenario is were every client sees the same page,
that is all instances of are the same. So it can be cached.
The worst case is were every user sees a different, customized page,
so it can not be cached.

Assuming you had 3 different page versions serving 3 different target groups
in for instance 3 different coutries/languages, you could maybe
have 10,000 people seeing version 1, 20,000 seeing version 2 and 5,000
seeing version 3. so there would only be 3 cached pages necessary
instead 35,000.

Would Tapestry still do the caching correctly?

What exactly would I do within getComponentMessagesSrouce() ?
How can I get  the current domain name and load the configuration
and maybe make it possible to have a variable I can use as a condition
to decide which configuration to load?

Configurations would be an additional input parameter for a component...

Thanks again....

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Lesiecki <nl...@vmsinfo.com>.
To be fair, you can probably tweak tomcat to work. Try adjusting your heap
size, and take these concerns to the tomcat users mailing list. That being
said, Resin http://caucho.com/ is a great low cost (not free though) app
server.

Cheers,
nick