Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by kingler <ki...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/21 00:03:26 UTC

Unbearably slow using https and per folder access control authz_svn

Hi, I have set up a subversion repository with Apache 2 on Debian.

http checkout is very fast. However once I enabled HTTPS and per folder
access using Authz and user control with AuthPAM. The access to
the repository becomes unbearably slow.

According to the search on this maillist archive, I found this thread:

http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-11/0967.shtml#replies

It seems that enabling per-dir access control is a performance killer.

Does it mean that I have to abandon this route of securing the repository
and use SVN+SSH:// access instead (with user/group file permissions)?

Thanks a lot.

-Liang

Re: Unbearably slow using https and per folder access control authz_svn

Posted by Dmitry Kandalov <ka...@kg.ru>.

kingler wrote:

> Hi, I have set up a subversion repository with Apache 2 on Debian.
>
> http checkout is very fast. However once I enabled HTTPS and per folder
> access using Authz and user control with AuthPAM. The access to
> the repository becomes unbearably slow.
>
> According to the search on this maillist archive, I found this thread:
>
> http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-11/0967.shtml#replies
>
> It seems that enabling per-dir access control is a performance killer.
>
> Does it mean that I have to abandon this route of securing the repository
> and use SVN+SSH:// access instead (with user/group file permissions)?

You can try mod_deflate (see
http://www.nabble.com/Slow-performance-using-http%3A---vs.-svn%3A---td9793464.html).