Posted to user@spark.apache.org by nsareen <ns...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/02 01:50:45 UTC

MLib : Non Linear Optimization

I'm part of an Predictive Analytics marketing platform. We do a lot of
Optimizations ( non linear ), currently using SAS / Lindo routines. I was
going through Spark's MLib documentation & found it supports Linear
Optimization, was wondering if it also supports Non Linear Optimization & if
not, are there any plans to implement it in spark ? We really want to move
away from SAS  since it is a very expensive solution & does not work on a
distributed scale. We want a solution which provides scalability & at the
same time provide accurate results.

Re: MLib : Non Linear Optimization

Posted by Nitin Sareen <ns...@gmail.com>.
Yes, we are using primarily these two algorithms.

1.   Interior point trust-region line-search algorithm

2.     Active-set trust-region line-search algorithm

We are performing optimizations with constraints & thresholds etc.

We are primarily using Lindo / SAS modules but want to get away from SAS
due to the cost, it would be really good to have these algorithms in Spark
ML.

Let me know if you need any more info, i can share some snippets if
required.

Thanks,

Nitin

Posted by Robin East <ro...@xense.co.uk>.

Posted by Blake Ryan <bl...@gmail.com>.
Outside of Spark, we'd recommend looking at IpOpt as an open source
alternative for this: http://www.coin-or.org/projects/Ipopt.xml

  Blake

Posted by Robin East <ro...@xense.co.uk>.
The TFOCS package is announced here: https://databricks.com/blog/2015/11/02/announcing-the-spark-tfocs-optimization-package.html <https://databricks.com/blog/2015/11/02/announcing-the-spark-tfocs-optimization-package.html>

http://www.manning.com/books/spark-graphx-in-action <http://www.manning.com/books/spark-graphx-in-action>

Posted by Robin East <ro...@xense.co.uk>.

Posted by nsareen <ns...@gmail.com>.

Posted by nsareen <ns...@gmail.com>.