Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by florent andré <fl...@4sengines.com> on 2012/03/19 11:04:57 UTC

Gsoc 2012 : ideas, feedback, etc...

Hi !

I would like to propose a CMIS implementation (based on openCMIS) for
Lenya as a Gsoc project.

But I don't know if I can still add this idea to the apache list... and
I see that student application begin next week...

Also, I would appreciate to have a feedback from someone who already do
some gsoc mentoring (Richard ?) : witch concrête actions ? how many time
(approx) ? administrativa ?

You devs have others ideas to propose to the gsoc ?
Other mentors to step in ?

Have a good day

++

Re: Gsoc 2012 : ideas, feedback, etc...

Posted by florent andré <fl...@4sengines.com>.
Thanks Richard.

On 03/19/2012 05:23 PM, Richard Frovarp wrote:
> On 03/19/2012 05:04 AM, florent andré wrote:
>
> Apparently things have changed this year. I'm still trying to track down
> what those changes are. It appears that you need your PMC's approval to
> be a mentor, but I can't seem to find that rule.

Yep I see the discussion about that on the community list.
Seems not clearly stated now, but PMC's validation seem the way it goes.

[feedback snipped, thanks for them]

> I you haven't already, subscribe to code-awards@apache.org.

Thanks remember that to me.
I already send the subscribe mail around one month ago, get the "confirm
your adress mail", reply to it... but don't get any "welcome" message.

Retry just now, and get the same... no welcome mail...

Will try to send a mail to -owner...

++

Re: Gsoc 2012 : ideas, feedback, etc...

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 03/19/2012 05:04 AM, florent andré wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I would like to propose a CMIS implementation (based on openCMIS) for
> Lenya as a Gsoc project.
>
> But I don't know if I can still add this idea to the apache list...
> and I see that student application begin next week...
>
> Also, I would appreciate to have a feedback from someone who already
> do some gsoc mentoring (Richard ?) : witch concrête actions ? how many
> time (approx) ? administrativa ?
>
> You devs have others ideas to propose to the gsoc ?
> Other mentors to step in ?
>
> Have a good day

Apparently things have changed this year. I'm still trying to track down
what those changes are. It appears that you need your PMC's approval to
be a mentor, but I can't seem to find that rule.

They typically allow for 4 hours of mentoring per week. Different
projects do things in different ways. I used email as the time
difference was quite significant.  As far as the actual amount of work,
that too will vary. I don't think it is realistic to expect a student to
work 40 hours a week, every week during what is their summer vacation
(if they are in the Northern Hemisphere).  I would expect them to take
some time off.

Posted by Kasun Siriwardhana <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for tag this jira issue .I am interested in this idea and now going
through some resources on the web regarding it.

Thanks
Kasun

Posted by florent andré <fl...@4sengines.com>.