Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com> on 2019/07/23 18:32:36 UTC

Q on publishing the archetype

Hi Georg,

Do you have any instructions on how to publish the turbine-archetype? I
am not certain how this should be done compared to the other projects
(same steps or not?)

I think it is ready so that we can update it to start working with
turbine 5.1 in svn. And push the fix you made with fulcrum-parser and
pooling.

Thanks!

Jeff

Re: Re: Q on publishing the archetype

Posted by Georg Kallidis <ge...@cedis.fu-berlin.de>.
Hi Jeffery,

@READMEs:
- may be we should think about a short site to provide a structure? But on
the other side the current READMe.md in the root is really missing the
important how-to install instructions, which are kind of hidden in
src/main/resources/archetype-resources/READMe.txt. Yes, I would agree to
integrate this into one page, probably you need two or more scrolls more
to read it, butwe may add a short toc at the beginning...
@HowtoRelease
- Good question! It might be that it could just happen as it is. May be
you have to set explicitely git config --global user.signingkey <id>,
where id is your gpg key (gpg--list-keys <uid>).
The scm connection may be better
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/turbine-archetypes instead of scm:git:
https://github.com/apache/turbine-archetypes and url
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=turbine-archetypes.git. As I
understand maven release would create a tag. Currently the tag name I
would expect is 5.0-1.1.3. The format might be kind of automagically set,
if we do not provide it explicitely, e.g. a
<tagNameFormat>turbine-5.0-@{project.version}</tagNameFormat> property in
the maven-release-plugin configuration. Hopefully all will remain the same
as before: mvn -Papache-release release:prepare, mvn release:perform,
nexus repo clean, voting process). I would expect, that the tagged
resource will be available in git after release:perform and after the
release, target updates/upload with sha sums to svn repo:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/turbine/maven the same, see:
https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html.
The gitbox url resolving of tag might be something like:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=turbine-archetypes.git;a=tag;h=4.0-1.0.1
. BTW: We should check if versions in JIRA are set correctly..
@Updates
I did it manually by chance. But occassionally I use mvn
versions:display-dependency-updates.

I will support you as much as I can, if you want to go ahead to get a
release done! ;-)

Best regards, Georg

Von:    Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com>
An:     dev@turbine.apache.org
Datum:  24.07.2019 19:28
Betreff:        Re: Q on publishing the archetype

Hi Georg,

I am fine with the README.md ... should we move the setup instructions
then that I wrote in src/main/resources/archetype-resources/README.txt
up to the main README.md that appears on the git page?  I can do this if
you like since it would then be more visible.

I guess what I meant was how to you publish the archetype (not the
website) so that we can bump the revision number?

The older versions are here:

https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/turbine/maven/archetypes/
<https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/turbine/maven/archetypes/tags/>

I think we are on 1.0.3-SNAPSHOT still for turbine-webapp-5.0

Could we align the version number in the pom.xml of the archetype to
better match the version of turbine it is associated with? I don't care
one way or the other, just a thought.

How does version 1.0.3 get finalized, voted on and then made available
in the archetype catalog? That is the step I am missing :-)

Also, looks like that mysql connector update just came out. Do you have
an automated way that you monitor dependency updates or do you just
check them manually? I have sadly just been looking on maven repo
central to see what is new when I think about it.

Also - if/when I get some downtime, I can take a shot at updating the
README.txt files in turbine-trunk and fulcrum to markdown formatted files

Thanks!

Jeffery

On 7/24/19 7:52 AM, Georg Kallidis wrote:
> Hi Jeffery,
>
> I think, we may stay for now just with README.md without a site? We do
> provide a src/changes/changes.xml, which could be retrieved by xdoc and
> build a maven site.
>
> If we want a site, we may use just the same site generation mechanism as
> we do for the other components, but may need to create a git branch
> "asf-site" with the generated content (using a script or a manual), see
> https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/git_based_websites_available.).
Infra

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=75964385.

Posted by Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com>.