Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Jean Morissette <je...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/25 19:04:53 UTC

Relicensing

Hi,

I'm currently developing a SQL front-end, which will be licensed under
GPL and hosted at SimpleDBM http://www.simpledbm.org/. I would like to
know if I'm autorized to reuse some code from Derby and relicense it
under GPL? If yes, under what conditions?

Regards,
Jean

Re: Relicensing

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Jean Morissette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently developing a SQL front-end, which will be licensed under
> GPL and hosted at SimpleDBM http://www.simpledbm.org/. I would like to
> know if I'm autorized to reuse some code from Derby and relicense it
> under GPL? If yes, under what conditions?

Hi, Jean,

My understanding is you can't relicense Apache software, but that
doesn't necessarily prevent you from including it in your own software
as long as you comply with the terms of the Apache license. I included
links to a couple FAQs below which might help.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#My-CD

"May I include Apache software or documentation on a CD-ROM I'm making?"

"Yes, as long as you comply with the terms of the license. See the What
does it MEAN  section for help with interpretation."

http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#Distribute-changes

"I've made improvements to the Apache code; may I distribute the
modified result?"

"... Just remember that the original code is still covered by the Apache
license and you must comply with its terms. Even if you change every
single line of the Apache code you're using, the result is still based
on the Foundation's licensed code. You may distribute the result under a
different license, but you need to acknowledge the use of the
Foundation's software...."

Those FAQs have helpful links to additional information.

Also see the FAQ on the GPL:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#GPL

I hope this helps. I am not a lawyer; it might be wise to check with
your own lawyer to make sure that everything is in order with what you
plan to do.

Any other tips out there? Feel free to chime in!

 -jean