Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/02/15 13:46:35 UTC

Draft blog post: International Mother Language Day 2013 -- Translations requested

https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=international_mother_language_day_2013

Thanks to Khan for the background information and Robin for the logo design.

1. Proofreading is always appreciated.

2. Robin, maybe you could make a version of the logo with transparent
background rather than white?

3. Since we are commemorating International Mother Language Day,
translations of the blog post are most welcome.  If you can send me a
translation by end of day Tuesday I can add it to the post.  Or if you
host a translation externally we can link to it.

4. I plan on posting on Wednesday afternoon, New York time, so we
cover February 21st across all time zones.

Thanks!

-Rob

Re: Draft blog post: International Mother Language Day 2013 -- Translations requested

Posted by Robin Fowler <au...@googlemail.com>.
Yes that's possible, but doesn't usually give you the cleanest results (if you'd zoom in to an image you'd see that there's usually a slight transition, i.e. from white to black, which shows when you take out the white). In this case it might suffice since the background you're using is similar to white.

Robin.

On 15 Feb 2013, at 13:52, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Robin Fowler
> <au...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a version of the original openoffice logo text that i used available with transparent background? If not i'll have to either cut it out or remake it, which is not much of a problem.
>>

> I don't think we've been able to locate the original vector source for
> the current logo.  But isn't there a way to specify an existing color
> in the image to be the transparency?  (I think I've seen that option
> in some tools)  If so, I wonder if setting white to be transparent
> would work?
>
> -Rob
>

>> Robin
>>
>> On 15 Feb 2013, at 13:11, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Kindly send me the original HTML file along with images. Even if I
>>> translate into Tamil, you may not be able to put in on the web. I will put
>>> in my place and give a link. I am trying to translate OpenOffice into
>>> Tamil, not getting suitable word for it.
>>>
>>> With Warm Regards
>>>
>>> V.Kadal Amutham
>>> 919444360480

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robin Fowler <au...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
Ok, Rob Weir, I will use the link for the image, so that any changes you do
for the logo gets automatically reflected

With Warm Regards

V.Kadal Amutham
919444360480
914422396480

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Jeongkyu Kim <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your good work! I attached the text version of Korean translation.

Thanks!  I've copied that into the post and also added a link to the
Tamil translation:

https://blogs.apache.org//preview/OOo/?previewEntry=international_mother_language_day_2013

-Rob

> Regards,
> Jeongkyu
>
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have completed the translation and it is running here
>> http://thewink.in/AOO-IMLD/IMLD-2013.html. I have also attached html file
>> and the font. Both shall be uploaded together for proper rendering of Tamil
>> letters.
>>
>> With Warm Regards
>>
>> V.Kadal Amutham
>> 919444360480
>> 914422396480
>>

>> On 16 February 2013 14:30, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have just completed Tamil Translation. I have attached the file for
>>> review. In the mean while I will prepare the html file so that it can be put
>>> on the web
>>>
>>> With Warm Regards
>>>
>>> V.Kadal Amutham
>>> 919444360480

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Jeongkyu Kim <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your good work! I attached the text version of Korean translation.

Thanks!  I've copied that into the post and also added a link to the
Tamil translation:

https://blogs.apache.org//preview/OOo/?previewEntry=international_mother_language_day_2013

-Rob

> Regards,
> Jeongkyu
>
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have completed the translation and it is running here
>> http://thewink.in/AOO-IMLD/IMLD-2013.html. I have also attached html file
>> and the font. Both shall be uploaded together for proper rendering of Tamil
>> letters.
>>
>> With Warm Regards
>>
>> V.Kadal Amutham
>> 919444360480
>> 914422396480
>>

>> On 16 February 2013 14:30, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have just completed Tamil Translation. I have attached the file for
>>> review. In the mean while I will prepare the html file so that it can be put
>>> on the web
>>>
>>> With Warm Regards
>>>
>>> V.Kadal Amutham
>>> 919444360480

Posted by Fabrizio Marchesano <fm...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>wrote:

> Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Fabrizio Marchesano wrote:
>>
>>> in attachment you will find the Italian translation of the post (with
>>> links
>>> to the Italian version of external pages where available).
>>>
>> Thanks.  I've added your translation to the post.
>>

> Thank you Fabrizio, I reviewed the translation and it's fine, I just
> linked, in the Italian translation only and directly online, the word
> "Italia" to http://rete.comuni-italiani.**it/wiki/Bari/Monumento_ai_**
> Martiri_del_Bangladesh<http://rete.comuni-italiani.it/wiki/Bari/Monumento_ai_Martiri_del_Bangladesh>(so that curious people can easily find out where the Italian monument is).
>
> Given the occasion, I would suggest to credit translators too in the post.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Thanks, Andrea; indeed, I was one of the curious people :-) .
Regards,

Fabrizio

Re: Draft blog post: International Mother Language Day 2013 -- Translations requested

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM, FR web forum <oo...@free.fr> wrote:
>>I've added the translator names.
> Thanks Rob
> Just a little mistake to my name:
> Beaussier

Yes, that does look more French now. ;-)

Fixed.

-Rob

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fabrizio Marchesano <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob,

Posted by Jeongkyu Kim <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for your good work! I attached the text version of Korean translation.

Regards,
Jeongkyu

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have completed the translation and it is running here
> http://thewink.in/AOO-IMLD/IMLD-2013.html. I have also attached html file
> and the font. Both shall be uploaded together for proper rendering of Tamil
> letters.
>
> With Warm Regards
>
> V.Kadal Amutham
> 919444360480
> 914422396480
>

> On 16 February 2013 14:30, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have just completed Tamil Translation. I have attached the file for
>> review. In the mean while I will prepare the html file so that it can be put
>> on the web
>>
>> With Warm Regards
>>
>> V.Kadal Amutham
>> 919444360480
>> 914422396480
>>

>> On 15 February 2013 22:02, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The following link can be added to the blog
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_Language_Movement
>>>
>>> With Warm Regards
>>>
>>> V.Kadal Amutham
>>> 919444360480

Posted by Jeongkyu Kim <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for your good work! I attached the text version of Korean translation.

Regards,
Jeongkyu

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have completed the translation and it is running here
> http://thewink.in/AOO-IMLD/IMLD-2013.html. I have also attached html file
> and the font. Both shall be uploaded together for proper rendering of Tamil
> letters.
>
> With Warm Regards
>
> V.Kadal Amutham
> 919444360480
> 914422396480
>

> On 16 February 2013 14:30, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have just completed Tamil Translation. I have attached the file for
>> review. In the mean while I will prepare the html file so that it can be put
>> on the web
>>
>> With Warm Regards
>>
>> V.Kadal Amutham
>> 919444360480
>> 914422396480
>>

>> On 15 February 2013 22:02, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The following link can be added to the blog
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_Language_Movement
>>>
>>> With Warm Regards
>>>
>>> V.Kadal Amutham
>>> 919444360480

Posted by Jeongkyu Kim <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for your good work! I attached the text version of Korean translation.

Regards,
Jeongkyu

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have completed the translation and it is running here
> http://thewink.in/AOO-IMLD/IMLD-2013.html. I have also attached html file
> and the font. Both shall be uploaded together for proper rendering of Tamil
> letters.
>
> With Warm Regards
>
> V.Kadal Amutham
> 919444360480
> 914422396480
>

> On 16 February 2013 14:30, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have just completed Tamil Translation. I have attached the file for
>> review. In the mean while I will prepare the html file so that it can be put
>> on the web
>>
>> With Warm Regards
>>
>> V.Kadal Amutham
>> 919444360480
>> 914422396480
>>

>> On 15 February 2013 22:02, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The following link can be added to the blog
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_Language_Movement
>>>
>>> With Warm Regards
>>>
>>> V.Kadal Amutham
>>> 919444360480

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.
Oh, and did you want to add the wikipedia links?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mother_Language_Day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_Movement_Day

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Guenter Marxen
<gu...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 22.02.2013 15:59, schrieb Guenter Marxen:
>>

>> Am 22.02.2013 15:10, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>>

>>> Thanks.  I've added it to the post.
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>

>> Thanks. A little correction:
>

> Sorry for not to have looked precisely enough. I have two little
> corrections:
>
> In German there is correct either
>
> Warum der 21. Februar gewählt wurde     (without question mark)
> or
> Warum wurde der 21. Februar gewählt?    (with q-mark)
>
> and
>

>> Instead of
>> "OpenOffice and Sprachenvielfalt" :
>>
>> "OpenOffice und Sprachenvielfalt".

Fixed.  Thanks.

-Rob

Posted by Guenter Marxen <gu...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Guenter Marxen <gu...@googlemail.com>.

Am 22.02.2013 15:10, schrieb Rob Weir:
> 2013/2/21 Guenter Marxen <gu...@googlemail.com>:
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> as I was several days "out of office", I saw your request only late this
>> night. On the web site I saw no german translation, so I post you my text
>> inline.
>>

> Thanks.  I've added it to the post.
>
> -Rob

Thanks. A little correction:

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 3:01 AM, Robin Fowler <audio.fowler@googlemail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Sorry for taking so long. Here is the logo with transparent background.
>>

> Hi Robin, for the website we need something smaller, 100 pixels tall,
> since it should fit in the vertical space used by this logo on the home
> page:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/AOO_orb2_logo_webSite.jpg
>
> (Being wider is fine, since we have more space there(
>
> I could resize this myself, but that will probably degrade the text.

Never mind.  I gave it a try and it looks good:   http://www.openoffice.org/

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robin Fowler <au...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here it is a Spanish translation.

Thanks.  It is in the post now.

-Rob

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Unsubscribe please Re: Draft blog post: International Mother Language Day 2013 -- Translations requested

Posted by Juanita Williamson <ju...@gmail.com>.
Please unsubscribe me. I'll rather join at a later stage.

Many thanks!
Juanita Williamson
Cell: +27 (0)79 409 2005
Fax: +27 (0)86 6179 077
eMail: juanita.williamson@gmail.com
Sent via my BlackBerry!

Hope that attached file is good for you.

Re: Draft blog post: International Mother Language Day 2013 -- Translations requested

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM, FR web forum <oo...@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> This is the french translation.
> Hope that attached file is good for you.

It looks good.  You can see the draft here:

Posted by Xuacu <xu...@gmail.com>.
2013/2/19 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>:

> OK.  I think I fixed it ;-)
>
> -Rob

Perfect! Thank you very much

--
Xuacu

Re: Draft blog post: International Mother Language Day 2013 -- Translations requested

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Xuacu <xu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob
>
> Something is wrong in the last paragraph (the very loooong link;)) I
> paste the two sentences involved, including the appropriate links,
> below:

OK.  I think I fixed it ;-)

-Rob

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.