Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by John <jb...@gmail.com> on 2022/06/09 14:43:56 UTC

My .class files keep auto-updating their timestamp every minute

Once I have compiled a change to one of my java class files, the class file
that is generated updates the timestamp of the rebuilt class file as expected
but then appears to be updating its timestamp every minute without any
interference from me. I don’t have any other application open and when I close
Netbeans, the incrementing of the timestamp stops.

It may actually be updating the timestamp more regularly than that, but I can
only see the minutes change in the Windows File Explorer. The timestamp on
just the recompiled class does refresh exactly on the minute though. If I
Shift-F11 to rebuild all the classes in the project, then they all change
their timestamps on the minute.

I can repeat the behaviour each time I start Netbeans and (say) make a minor
change to another java class file and F11 to rebuild. That .class file now
starts auto-incrementing its timestamp.

This is causing Tomcat issues as it is checking for any file changes and then
refreshing its WebApp which means that I have to shut down

Anyone else noticed this and is there a setting to disable it if

I am currently using Netbeans 12.6 using Java 17.

I have amended the default Maven .pom file to store the classes directly into
the WEB-INF\classes folder of my web application for convenience but I can’t
see why that would have any impact, but mention it for completeness.

<build>

<outputDirectory>C:\Development\Tomcat\apache-
tomcat-10.0.16\webapps\honeycomb\WEB-INF\classes</outputDirectory>

</build>

Having Googled for issues, they suggested clearing cache and turning off Tools
> Options > Miscellaneous > Files tab > “Enable auto-scanning of sources”

I have cleared the Netbeans cache and relaunched NetBeans having restarted
Windows (just to be sure!), I left it for a while to refresh the cache.

As an aside, I had ‘Background scanning projects’ keep repeating (every second
or so) until I shut NetBeans down. Previously, prior to clearing the cache
this message rotated ad-infinitum with ‘Checking for external changes’. This
appears to have gone away for now, having closed and restarted Netbeans again.

Any help would be appreciated as I currently have to keep Netbeans closed most
of the time in order for my testing / front end to work as expected.

Thanks in advance

John

commands, e-mail: users-help@netbeans.apache.org For further information about
the NetBeans mailing lists, visit:

Re: Netbeans 14 delivery schedule

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pulls?q=is%3Apr+milestone%3ANB14+is%3Aclosed

Above is what's been done for Apache NetBeans 14.

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by slipbits <sl...@slipbits.com>.