Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2012/02/29 01:07:46 UTC

Minor issue with current build scripts

Hi,

Found a few minor issue with the current build framework scripts. See:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-22
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-23
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-24

None of these would be too hard to investigate/fix so anyone wanting to get get their feet wet go for it. Worse case you'll learn about how the build scripts work along the way.

Also I don't think the clean target is cleaning up 100%. Anyone want to raise a JIRA issue for that and have a go a fixing it? Would be straight forward to fix.

Remember anyone can raise JIRA requests and submit patches it doesn't have to be one of the committers, or just me :-)

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Minor issue with current build scripts

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Also note that just because the build scripts are capable of using later versions doesn't mean they have to by default.

Take a look at how I implements the flash player version change to see that in action. The script still defaults to 11.1 but you can select to use 10.2,10.3 or 11.2 if you desire.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Done.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-25

>  > We need to verify and regress TLF 3.0 with the current Flex SDK code
> before we can
> > include it in our scripts.
> As long as it's not the default option I wouldn't have an issue with
> having it in the scripts. having the build script ready for a future change
> it not a bad thing in my books. eg FP 11.2 support I added the other day.

I am okay with it.  I have created a 'required by' relationship for these
two JIRA tickets.  Hopefully, that helps us remember...

> I was just trying to get some people other than me to take a look at the
> scripts and submit some patches not cause more roadblocks. Looks like I'll
> have to find something else :-)

You have inspired me to take a look at the build scripts :-)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Justin,

Just changing the build scripts alone are not sufficient.  We need to
verify and regress TLF 3.0 with the current Flex SDK code before we can
include it in our scripts.  As Alex mentioned in the "TLF and Flex" thread,
TLF sometimes changes in a way that needs code changes in the Flex SDK.

Conversely, if TLF is donated to Apache, we may get to make changes to TLF
directly to keep things smooth.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/28/12 4:33 PM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM, David Francis Buhler <davidbuhler@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> I don't believe projects that fall under the ASF banner can make
>> improvements or updates or references to non-ASF projects.
>>
>> I believe TLF is still an Adobe product, even the older version, and I
>> think, by "Building" TLF's source into a binary, it might become an issue.
>>
>>  I got a 130 on my LSAT, so Legal will have to chime in here.
>>

> TLF is released under the "Mozilla Public License Version 1.1", which I
> believe is compatible with Apache's license.  I never took an LSAT... so
> again - Legal needs to confirm if we are good here:-)
>
> Om

It is not that simple, otherwise, we'd have all the other Adobe code in
Apache a month ago.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Minor issue with current build scripts

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Francis Buhler <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Should we hold off fixing  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-23 ?
>
> Last I heard, there was no decision on whether Adobe would donate TLF to
> ASF.

I don't think the issue is will they donatate it or not. The framework currently uses it. The issue is that the build script currently uses an old (and potentially buggy) version of it.

From memory there a memory leak directly related to using OSMF 1.0 in Flex video players. (It's probably in the Adobe bug base somewhere).

Posted by David Francis Buhler <da...@gmail.com>.