Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Joel Espinosa <jo...@cts-design.com> on 2006/08/31 19:24:54 UTC

Workflow implementation with Struts

Hi all,

I want to do a struts based workflow. I need that the information
captured through the steps of this workflow persist in someway that if
the user close the browser next time the user login the info previously
capturated shows up in the same step in which the user left the app before.

Another complex requirement is the user ability to follow the steps of
the workflow in two or more browser windows at the same time, if I use
session's objects to achieve this the user only be able to follow the
workflow once per session/browser.

Could you point me in the right direction to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.

ps. The vesion of truts is not a problem I just started the project.

--
Ing. Joel Alejandro Espinosa Carra
Centro de Tecnología de Semiconductores

y se considera que está limpio.
MailScanner agradece a transtec Computers por su apoyo.

Re: Workflow implementation with Struts

Posted by Monkeyden <mo...@gmail.com>.
Understanding that different companies interpret them in different ways, I
have always thought of webflow and workflow in the following terms:

webflow - the path by which a user travels through a WEB application to
complete a unit of work.  An example would be a series of screens used by a
manager to INITIATE a department transfer of a subordinate.
workflow (a.k.a. Business Process Management) - the complete path taken when
some action is performed on some entity, to COMPLETE a business process.  An
example would be the entire process, from initiation of a department
transfer to completion of a transfer.

So, based on my interpretation, several WEBflows may be necessary to
complete a WORKflow.  If you're looking for the former, you're probably
already defining it in struts-config.xml.  If you're looking for the latter,
check here http://java-source.net/open-source/workflow-engines

Posted by Monkeyden <mo...@gmail.com>.
Ah, now I see.  What you're looking for is a way to persist incomplete
webflows.  Well, in a *typical* webflow, you have 1 screen per table, where
each screen is a new record/relationship.  Each subsequent screen might use
the previous screen's primary key (or composite, if necessary for the
relationship) as it's foreign key.  Using this idea, it would be quite easy
to partially persist the webflow, to complete later. The only additional
piece of data you need to track is the last save point.  Take this (albeit
contrived) example of the business process, which I mention in my previous
post:

TABLE DEPT_TRANSFER
EMP_ID
DEPT_ID
TRANSFER_DATE
NEW_SALARY (NULL)

1.  A manager requests a department transfer of an employee by going to the
"Department Transfer" application of the company's HR application.
2.  The first screen allows the manager to select an employee.  (emp_id
stored in session)
3.  The second screen, a new department and date of transfer SAVE POINT
(EMP_ID and DEPT_ID stored in the dept_transfer table)
4.  The third screen allows the manager to determine whether the employee
will get a pay increase as a result of the transfer SAVE POINT (NEW_SALARY
saved in dept_transfer table)
5.  The fourth screen allows the manager to commit/initiate the transfer.
Here the business process is moved to some other table, to which the
Workflow engine refers.

There's a lot more minutia associated with the implementation but your save
points could be added to the application at each point some DB relationship
is made.

Posted by fausto mancini <ma...@tiscali.it>.