Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by "Johnson, Michael1 [IT]" <mi...@citigroup.com> on 2002/07/01 14:47:49 UTC

Compare IBM to Apache

What are the advantages to using apache SOAP vs say IBMs SOAP bundled with
websphere or MS SOAP bundled with .NET?

-MJ

Re: Compare IBM to Apache

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
While this is no definitive, expert comparison, here are some things that
come to mind.

.NET
----
1. Best interop with other .NET, including Microsoft extensions to standards
2. You can code in nearly every language but Java (with J# coming soon)
3. With Visual Studio.NET, developers barely need to know what they are
doing to get something to mostly work ;-)
4. Runs only on OS platforms supporting .NET (can you guess which ones)

Apache SOAP (really Axis, which is roughtly "Apache SOAP 3.0"
-----------
1. Full source is available
2. Attempts to stick to standards (W3C, IETF, JCP, OASIS, etc.)
3. Client runs on all platforms supporting J2SE, server on J2EE subset

WebSphere
---------
1. Based on Axis (I hope)
2. Tools to help developer that are not built into Axis

To me, the big question is whether you want to be limited to deploying SOAP
services on Wintel platforms, which the decision to go with .NET effectively
does.  Yes, I know, Microsoft is releasing a source reference implementation
on FreeBSD (which cannot be used for commercial development) and Ximian is
working on a portable .NET based on ECMA specs, but it's hard to imagine
significant .NET adoption anywhere but Win32.

You should also note that, in the Java world, there are implementations
beyond Axis and WebSphere.  FWIW, eWeek just ran a glowing review of WASP
from Systinet, for example.

Scott Nichol

Re: Compare IBM to Apache