Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Kalle Kärkkäinen <ka...@intstream.fi> on 2008/05/05 12:44:08 UTC

one to one conversations in qpid

Hi,

I need one-to-one channels for server-to-client updates.

How would I go about this? I've been planning on creating a temporary
queue in client and sending queue name in login request.

Is there another way?

--
Kalle

Re: one to one conversations in qpid

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
On 05/05/2008, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Kalle Kärkkäinen wrote:
>
> > I need one-to-one channels for server-to-client updates.
> >
> > How would I go about this? I've been planning on creating a temporary
> queue in client and sending queue name in login request.
> >
> > Is there another way?
> >

>  If I understand correctly you want to have a 'server' program that connects
> to an AMQP broker, and 'client' programs that then communicate through the
> broker with the 'server' to exploit whatever service its offering. The
> clients each need to have an individual conversation with the service.
>
>  If so, then yes, create a temporary queue and then set the reply-to on
> messages sent to the service. That service can then use the address given to
> send responses back to the specific client that needs them.

If your clients that are receiving the reply can disconnect then I
would consider using durable queues so that any response will wait on
the queue for the clients return. Temporary queues will be removed if
the client disconnects.

If you can give us more details on the components you are using. such
as broker and client languages and version, then can help further.

hth

Martin

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: one to one conversations in qpid

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
Gordon Sim wrote:
> Kalle Kärkkäinen wrote:
>> I need one-to-one channels for server-to-client updates.
>>
>> How would I go about this? I've been planning on creating a temporary
>> queue in client and sending queue name in login request.
>>
>> Is there another way?
>
> If I understand correctly you want to have a 'server' program that
> connects to an AMQP broker, and 'client' programs that then communicate
> through the broker with the 'server' to exploit whatever service its
> offering. The clients each need to have an individual conversation with
> the service.
>
> If so, then yes, create a temporary queue and then set the reply-to on
> messages sent to the service. That service can then use the address
> given to send responses back to the specific client that needs them.

There's an example of this in
qpid/cpp/examples/examples/request-response/

Re: one to one conversations in qpid

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.