Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Michael Neale <mi...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/31 01:09:09 UTC

Maximum practical usages of export to XML

Hi All. Is it reasonable to assume there is some upper size which
makes it impractical to do a JCR XML export? (I suspect something like
that when I have a large repository, and try to export it, and it
takes a while, and I don't seem to get any data out of it).

(I would guess its partly how the export works - would just use a LOT
of memory). If this is the case - should it just not be relied on in
those cases where it is problematic? Or do I need to throw more
memory/patience at it?

Michael.

Re: Maximum practical usages of export to XML

Posted by Ivan Latysh <iv...@gmail.com>.
Michael Neale wrote:

> Hi All. Is it reasonable to assume there is some upper size which
> makes it impractical to do a JCR XML export? (I suspect something like
> that when I have a large repository, and try to export it, and it
> takes a while, and I don't seem to get any data out of it).
>
> (I would guess its partly how the export works - would just use a LOT
> of memory). If this is the case - should it just not be relied on in
> those cases where it is problematic? Or do I need to throw more
> memory/patience at it?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jcr-backup

Will export and import data with little memory, and in runtime. We user it for nightly backups.

--
Ivan Latysh
IvanLatysh@gmail.com

Re: Maximum practical usages of export to XML

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
hi michael

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 1:09 AM, Michael Neale <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All. Is it reasonable to assume there is some upper size which
> makes it impractical to do a JCR XML export? (I suspect something like
> that when I have a large repository, and try to export it, and it
> takes a while, and I don't seem to get any data out of it).
>
> (I would guess its partly how the export works - would just use a LOT
> of memory). If this is the case - should it just not be relied on in
> those cases where it is problematic? Or do I need to throw more
> memory/patience at it?

the export implementation is built on sax events, i.e. you shouldn't notice
any excessive memory usage. however, the time an export takes to
finish is propertional to the amount of data you want to export.

cheers
stefan