Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/29 18:16:18 UTC

Re: [math] Matrix storage format WAS Re: svn commit: r721203 [1/2] - in /commons/proper/math/branches/MATH_2_0: ./ src/java/org/apache/commons/math/linear/ src/site/xdoc/ src/site/xdoc/userguide/ src/test/org/apache/commons/math/linear/

Actually, much of the API is fairly perverse.  In the statistical code,
particularly, there are typically two three classes where one would do.  I
think that somebody read the book on "style" and took it a bit too
literally.  Factories and abstracts and interfaces and concrete
implementations are all well and good where there is something complex going
on, but for classes with just a few implementations an abstract super-class
and concrete implementations would do just fine. (and it could grow into the
more complex arrangement if there ever is a need).

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Time is tight, but I will try to get some in.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Ted Dunning wrote:
> Actually, much of the API is fairly perverse.  In the statistical code,
> particularly, there are typically two three classes where one would do.  I
> think that somebody read the book on "style" and took it a bit too
> literally.  Factories and abstracts and interfaces and concrete
> implementations are all well and good where there is something complex going
> on, but for classes with just a few implementations an abstract super-class
> and concrete implementations would do just fine. (and it could grow into the
> more complex arrangement if there ever is a need).

Specific suggestions - ideally with patches - for improvements to the
API are welcome.  In 2.0 we are making some changes and deprecating some
things, so now is the time to do this.

Phil