Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mike Jackson <mj...@barking-dog.net> on 2005/07/02 00:22:50 UTC

[ot] Re: Hello -- question about the "Rules"

> And what the hell are "DVD's", "CD's" and "PC's" as plural forms for
> DVD ,CD, and PC? Do they also drive "Car's"? or fly in "Airplane's"?

You'll notice the difference: the former are abbreviations, the latter are
complete words. I guess it makes sense to people, though not to me.

Mike Jackson
Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com

Re: [ot] Re: Hello -- question about the "Rules"

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> Yes, I know, but it seems people *think* that an abbreviation requires an
> apostrophe between it and a pluralizing s, whereas a complete word (like
> "airplane" in your previous example) would not. They're wrong, of course,
> but that seems to be the "logic" behind it.

FWIW, once or twice I've deliberately misused an apostrophe when pluralizing
some abbreviation simply because the result if simply sticking an s onto the
end of the abbreviation was either so ugly or obscene or hard to decipher I
just couldn't let it stand, and a dash before the s didn't seem to serve
well.

However, I'm reasonably convinced that that is not the usual logic for using
apostrophes (apostrophe's? :-) in abbreviations.

        Loren

Re: [ot] Re: Hello -- question about the "Rules"

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
Posted by Mike Jackson <mj...@barking-dog.net>.

Posted by Ronny Nussbaum <ro...@gmail.com>.
They don't use it while saying "The DVD's cover is beautiful". (Right)
They use it like this: "I bought 20 DVD's". (Wrong)

If I'm not mistaken, the first example above is not an abbreviation,
but possessive form.

:)

-RoNNY