Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Crawford, Preston" <Pr...@acs-inc.com> on 2007/04/20 03:39:20 UTC

[S1] Is JSTL 1.1 compatible with Struts 1.2.9?

Anyone know? I know Struts 1.2 comes with JSTL 1.0. I read somewhere that
you have to use JSTL 1.1 with a 2.4 container, which is what we have. I just
need to figure out what version of JSTL we can/should run.

Preston
message.

Re: [S1] Is JSTL 1.1 compatible with Struts 1.2.9?

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 4/20/07, Crawford, Preston <Pr...@acs-inc.com> wrote:
> Anyone know? I know Struts 1.2 comes with JSTL 1.0. I read somewhere that
> you have to use JSTL 1.1 with a 2.4 container, which is what we have. I just
> need to figure out what version of JSTL we can/should run.

Struts ships with an optional "EL" taglib - that is the equivalent of
the standard tags but supporting EL. The Struts EL taglib is for use
with JSTL 1.0 in a Servlet 2.3/JSP 1.2 environment. JSTL 1.1 became
part of the Servlet/JSP spec in version Servlet 2.4/JSP 2.0 - in that
environment you would NOT use the Struts EL taglib - just the standard
Struts taglib - because the expresion language support is provided by
the container (rather than the Struts tags). The only reason for the
Struts EL taglib was to allow people to start using EL in a Servlet
2.3/JSP 1.2 environment (i.e. before the container supported it).

So in your Servlet 2.4 environment you have to use JSTL 1.1 and the
standard Struts taglib.

Niall

Re: [S1] Is JSTL 1.1 compatible with Struts 1.2.9?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/19/07, Crawford, Preston <Pr...@acs-inc.com> wrote:

> Anyone know? I know Struts 1.2 comes with JSTL 1.0. I read somewhere that
> you have to use JSTL 1.1 with a 2.4 container, which is what we have. I just
> need to figure out what version of JSTL we can/should run.

The combinations are described here:

http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsAndJSTL

--
Wendy