Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com> on 2012/01/19 13:19:27 UTC

Discussion: Column Screen Widgets

I would like to implement two new screen widgets: <column-container> and
<column>. The goal is to simplify multi-column layout. The
<column-container> widget can have only <column> child elements and the
<column> widget can have any screen widget child widgets. A width
attribute can specify the width of the columns.

In HTML, the column container is  a combination of <table> and <tr>
elements, and the columns are <td> elements. This will be different from
the current floated <div> elements - mainly because getting the floating
themes has been unsuccessful.

What do you think?

-Adrian

Re: Discussion: Column Screen Widgets

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes this seems like a good complement to container to me

What are the places you want to use this OOTB?

Jacques

From: "Adrian Crum" <ad...@sandglass-software.com>

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
On 1/24/2012 2:11 PM, Erwan de FERRIERES wrote:
> 2012/1/19 Adrian Crum<ad...@sandglass-software.com>:
>> I would like to implement two new screen widgets:<column-container>  and
>> <column>. The goal is to simplify multi-column layout. The
>> <column-container>  widget can have only<column>  child elements and the
>> <column>  widget can have any screen widget child widgets. A width attribute
>> can specify the width of the columns.
>>
>> In HTML, the column container is  a combination of<table>  and<tr>
>> elements, and the columns are<td>  elements. This will be different from the
>> current floated<div>  elements - mainly because getting the floating<div>
>> layout to work correctly with pluggable widgets across visual themes has
>> been unsuccessful.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> -Adrian
>>
> Adrian,
>
> this looks interesting. Also, do you think that using a CSS framework
> like bootstrap (http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/) could help us
> using divs ?

I don't know about bootstrap.

The main problem with using divs is in the back office applications -
where a developer should be able to construct a screen using a toolbox
of screen widgets. It is very convenient to code up screens by dropping
various widgets into the screen at various locations, and let the
rendering engine do the markup for you. The problem is, certain
combinations of widgets will conflict with each other. So visual theme
developers try to accommodate that with comprehensive style sheets. But
the visual theme developer can not anticipate every possible combination
of widgets, so the layout breaks when widgets are combined in a way the
theme developer did not anticipate.

I have spent hours creating style sheets that do layout fixups for
certain screens. I don't want to continue doing that.

The divs, floats, and float clearing work fine for everything preceding
the main content. Floating columns in the main content area seems to be
the crux of the problems I encounter, so I am trying to come up with a
simple and reliable solution.

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@gmail.com>.
2012/1/19 Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>:
> I would like to implement two new screen widgets: <column-container> and
> <column>. The goal is to simplify multi-column layout. The
> <column-container> widget can have only <column> child elements and the
> <column> widget can have any screen widget child widgets. A width attribute
> can specify the width of the columns.
>
> In HTML, the column container is  a combination of <table> and <tr>
> elements, and the columns are <td> elements. This will be different from the
> current floated <div> elements - mainly because getting the floating <div>
> layout to work correctly with pluggable widgets across visual themes has
> been unsuccessful.
>
> What do you think?
>
> -Adrian

Adrian,

this looks interesting. Also, do you think that using a CSS framework
like bootstrap (http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/) could help us
using divs ?

Erwan de FERRIERES