Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Pedro Morais <pm...@rnl.ist.utl.pt> on 2001/08/06 12:22:30 UTC

some concerns about SVG 2.0

Hi!
I guess around here there must be some of guys that wrote the SVG 1.1/2.0
desired features.

On the document on http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-SVG2Reqs-20010803,
at 4.2 (Graphical Features) 10. (Parametized Elements), does this mean that
you can have a symbol to which you can pass a parameter, like text or a URI?

I'll give a concrete example: on the process of modeling business processes,
I've defined some symbols. However, those were not complete by themselves,
they needed a label, which difered on each use of the symbol.

I've ended up overlaying the label over the symbol, which kinda broke the
abstraction of the symbol.

Is this feature mean to be used this way?
Thanks.

Re: some concerns about SVG 2.0

Posted by Pedro Morais <pm...@rnl.ist.utl.pt>.
Em Segunda,  6 de Agosto de 2001 13:27, escreveste:

>     Probably not :(
>
>     But I would think that doing something like:
>
>     <g id="Decision 1">
>        <use xlink:href="#ifBlock">
>        <text ...>Press the History Eraser Button?</text>
>     </g>
>
>     Would keep most of the semantics.  Your symbol is now just one
> element of the group that represents the decision to be made.

The problem is that I want to center that text relative to the size
of the (in your example) ifBlock.

some concerns about SVG 2.0

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

PM> On the document on http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-SVG2Reqs-20010803,
PM> at 4.2 (Graphical Features) 10. (Parametized Elements), does this
PM> mean that you can have a symbol to which you can pass a parameter,
PM> like text or a URI?

    I don't think this is what is meant by this.  I think this is
intended to get at things like: Rectangle 1 should be at all times as
tall as Rectangle 2, or The top of rectangle A should meet the bottom
of Rectangle B.

    The concept of Parameterized drawing is used very heavily by a
number of CAD packages.  It makes the document much better at
handling/responding to changes (like for animation), and certain types
of scaling, etc.

    I believe there are proposals to allow for XPath stuff which might
allow you to do the above. Others please comment here :)