Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by aslam bari <ia...@yahoo.co.in> on 2007/03/19 11:14:05 UTC

Common Words ignoring problem

Hello All,
I am using StandarAnalyzer for indexing documents. Then i make a query to search some words with And query.
For example I need to search for a document which contains followings all words
" this is garden".

I think when lucene index the document , it ignores some common words like "this, is , are , am etc".  But when i say lucene to search all words including "this" AND "is" AND "garden" , then it could not found that. Am i right? If yes , how to solve this problem.

Thanks...

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/

Re: Common Words ignoring problem

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
One of the constructors for StandardAnalyzer allows you to set your
stop words.  If you use the default constructor, you get the default
set of stop words, which is in StopAnalyzer.ENGLISH_STOP_WORDS.

-Grant

On Mar 19, 2007, at 6:14 AM, aslam bari wrote:

> Hello All,
> I am using StandarAnalyzer for indexing documents. Then i make a
> query to search some words with And query.
> For example I need to search for a document which contains
> followings all words
> " this is garden".
>
> I think when lucene index the document , it ignores some common
> words like "this, is , are , am etc".  But when i say lucene to
> search all words including "this" AND "is" AND "garden" , then it
> could not found that. Am i right? If yes , how to solve this problem.
>
> Thanks...

> Yahoo! India Answers: Share what you know. Learn something new
> http://in.answers.yahoo.com/

Grant Ingersoll
Center for Natural Language Processing
http://www.cnlp.org