Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Mark Borins <ma...@rigadev.com> on 2005/12/09 16:49:56 UTC

Tapestry runs differently on one computer than another

I have two computers.  Lets call one the server and one the dev machine.

I have a Tapestry application that runs in a JBoss 4.0.2 installation using the
3.0.3 version of the Tapestry JARs.  The server and the dev machine use the JDK
verison 1.4.2.

The application starts by having the user login through a form.  The form takes
the users name and password.  Looks this up in the database and then puts a User
domain object into my custom written Visit class.  Then the user is taken to a
screen where some information is dynamically displayed to them.  Some of the
dynamic information being displayed relies on their user_id which is stored in
the User domain object in the visit.  There is a form on this page and they can
enter some more information and submit the form.

On my dev machine everything works as it should.  The user can login.  The visit
is set correctly, it contains the a correctly created User object.  Once they
get to the first screen they see all the dynamic information.  I know that the
Visit object is still valid because some of the information on the screen
depends on having a valid visit in their session.

The problem arises on the server.  The user can login and be taken to the first
screen.  I know at this point the visit is still valid because I can see user
specific information on this first screen.  However, once they enter something
into a form and submit.  Submitting the form changes some instance variables on
the page is refreshed.  When the page is refreshed their is a pageValidate
listener that checks to ensure the user has rights to view this page.

For some reason, the Visit object becomes null on the server after submitting
this form.  As a result of this the user is sent back to the login (Home)
screen.  They can login and try the whole process over again and this time it
works.  They can now operate the program without any problem.

This problem is only happening on the server and not on my dev machine.  I can
use the exact same JBoss folder on both my server and dev machine.  The problem
will only happen on the server.

To summarize the problem, for some reason my Visit object is mysteriously
becoming null.  This happens on one computer and not another.  They are using
the same JBoss/Tapestsry folder.  The same JVM.

I would very much appreciate any help anyone could provide.  This problem has
been driving me insane for a week now.

Re: Tapestry runs differently on one computer than another

Posted by Mark Borins <ma...@rigadev.com>.
Patrick Casey <patcasey <at> adelphia.net> writes:

> 	You don't have the cache disabled on the dev machine do you? If so
> I'd definitely look into your page initialization logic.
>
> 	--- Pat

I have set the tapestry cache to be disabled on both the server and dev machine.
 By adding -Dorg.apache.tapestry.disable-caching=true to the arguments that get
called from the run.bat in JBoss.

This has not changed the behaviour previously mentioned.

RE: Tapestry runs differently on one computer than another

Posted by Patrick Casey <pa...@adelphia.net>.