Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Piotr Skawinski <pi...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/20 14:50:21 UTC

release:prepare does not inherit plugins from the parent project?

Hi,

I'm having problems using release:prepare plugin on a project that inherits
from a parent project. It seems that it cannot see the plugins from the
parent project and fails on compiling java vesion 1.6 classes claiming that
1.3 version does not support annotations. It works fine with clean install.
The maven-compiler-plugin is defined in the parent project. What can be the
problem?

thanks in advance,

Piotr

Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: releas:perform with profiles fails

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 22/12/2010 3:58 AM, Hauschel Fred Robert wrote:
> Hi Ron,
> so we are now speaking about a m2Eclipse problem, and that is the wrong list!
>
> Example: You have a webApp<packaging>war</packaging>  and in it a dependency to (for example) commons-logging with scope provided.
> If you now use commons-logging in a servlet, and run your webapp in eclipse (WTP - run on srever), so the classpath will not contain
> commons-logging.
>
> Can you conform that ??

Since it is scope "provided", you must provide provide it. Your server
must be set up to have commons-logging in its classpath.
We have aggregation projects that create jars that combine many
artifacts so that we only have to install a few jars (10) in the server
(tomcat/lib in our case) to get the 70+ 3rd party libraries that we need.

This means that in order to set up a test or production environment for
a release, we have to install the aggregation JARs and set up the JNDI
on the server.
This is only done once.

Ron

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Hauschel Fred Robert <Fr...@Cirquent.de>.
See inline...

On 21/12/2010 4:28 AM, Hauschel Fred Robert wrote:
> Ok, maybe "<packagingExcludes>WEB-INF/lib/*.jar</packagingExcludes>"
> Explained in http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/examples/skinny-wars.html is a better way ;-)

Sounds like too much work to copy a bunch of libraries into each project
and then exclude them when maven already has a transitive dependency
mechanism that supports scope "provided".

[HF:] Maybe! But m2Eclipse plugin does not use provided libraries in it's classpath for wtp projects. And our goal is to make it as simple as possible for the developers. Maybe this is the problem ,-) Thanks for your help, we will see, how to solve the "thing".

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Hauschel Fred Robert <Fr...@Cirquent.de>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 21/12/2010 4:06 AM, Hauschel Fred Robert wrote:
> Hi Ron,
> thank you very much for your hint!
> We are actual converting a "historical" ant builded project to maven.
> Profiles are really a bad way to solve our problems, but in the moment it is "a way" to get the whole stuff running and be able to provide a release.
>
> Providing configuration is just one problem, that we actually solve with profiles!
> The major problem is to provide separate different dependencies for m2Eclipse and tomcat in the webapps.
> We solve this with profiles and properties:
>
> parentPom:
>
> 	<profiles>
> 		<profile>
> 			<id>container</id>
> 			<properties>
> 				<scope>provided</scope>
> 			</properties>
> 		</profile>
> 		<profile>
> 			<id>eclipse</id>
> 			<activation>
> 				<activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
> 			</activation>
> 			<properties>
> 				<scope>compile</scope>
> 			</properties>
> 		</profile>
> 	</profiles>
>
> ModulePom:
> 	<profiles>
> 		<profile>
> 			<id>dependencies</id>
> 			<activation>
> 				<activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
> 			</activation>
> 			<dependencies>
> 				<dependency>
> 					<groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
> 					<artifactId>commons-logging</artifactId>
> 					<scope>${scope}</scope>
> 				</dependency>
> 				<dependency>
> 					<groupId>xyz<groupId>
> 					<artifactId>xyz_common</artifactId>
> 					<scope>${scope}</scope>
> 				</dependency>
> 			</dependencies>
> 		</profile>
> 	</profiles>
>

> That works for now, but we are not really happy yet!
> We will provide all dependencies in tomcat/lib so we actual have all dependencies "provided" in our libraries.
We did the same thing.
I have described the process that we used rather often in the forum so
everyone else can ignore this post.:-)
We created a series of libraries containing the "authorized"
dependencies - hibernate-spring-mysql-tomcat, jsf, jasperreports,
apachecommons, CXF, our_utilities, etc. (about 10 in total).
The modules (about 60-70) just have the dependency scopes on these as
"provided" (usually 4 or 5 are all that is required) with the version
specified in the parent pom that corresponds to the version that they
are building. Once the module POM is set up the only the only change
that regularly happens is to the parent version.

On the deployment side, set up the JNDI for the environment, copy the
correct libraries into tomcat/lib and load up the war files.
> So each webApp have to define it's dependencies (again), transitive dependencies are "switched off".
Yes. That is what scope "provided" means - Need the dependency for
compile but do not include the classes in the artifact being built.

> The other way would be to use the default (compile) dependencies in the libraries and exclude all transitive dependencies for production build.

The libraries manage all of the exclusions to remove redundant libraries
and ensure that the "right" versions of common libraries(log4j and all
the handy apache and ORACLE/Sun stuff) are used without the module
developers having to worry about it.
The war files are very small.
> Any better idea ?

We think so.

Ron

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Hauschel Fred Robert <Fr...@Cirquent.de>.
Found a workarround:

Re: releas:perform with profiles fails

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
http://blog.artifact-software.com/tech/ includes a blog entry on using
JNDI to get environment stuff out of projects.
Got tired of writing it every week here.
Putting environmental stuff inside your modules is a recipe for long
frustrating Maven discussions and hours of fruitless screwing about.

If you want anyone to guess as to what causes a compilation error, you
will have to give us some hints about it.
What error?
What does Maven say is happening?

Separation of concerns between development and deployment will make both
sides of the job much easier and much less prone to run-time screw-ups
in production.
As you get further into the process, you will likely get a lot more
environments to support - current production, customer acceptance
testing, pre-release testing, integration testing, localhost testing,
etc. If you have customization for customers or multiple releases in
production, your problems multiply.

Get the deployment stuff out of your codebase ASAP.

Ron

Re: release:prepare does not inherit plugins from the parent project?

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
Analyzing the debug and error output should also give a clue. Maybe focus on
that and ignore the effective pom for now.

/Anders (mobile)

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
Possibly generateReleasePoms=true could be the problem. It is now
deprecated, so I wouldn't be surprised if not too many people use it and/or
it's not tested fully.

I suggest that you stop using it. There's a separate goal for that if you
really need it.

Btw, I assume you have tried upgrading to the latest version of the plugin?

/Anders
On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 09:53, Piotr Skawinski <

Posted by Piotr Skawinski <pi...@gmail.com>.

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Piotr Skawinski <pi...@gmail.com>.