Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Bernhard Grünewaldt <be...@gruenewaldt.net> on 2009/03/17 17:01:32 UTC

[math] suggesting rational function and trigonometric functions classes

Hi,

I used already the classes of the analysis package:
http://commons.apache.org/math/userguide/analysis.html

There is already a fine class for Polynomial Functions which can calculate
the derivation:

PolynomialFunction.derivative()

I would like to suggest a class called "RationalFunction" which can do
almost the same but for (you guessed it) Rational Functions.

Suggested methods are: derivative() , add(RationalFunction r), a.s.o.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_function

If this is something which you would like to have I will start coding it
to provide a patch.

The next thing is "Trigonometric Functions" and their derivatives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_function_derivations#Derivatives_of_trigonometric_functions

It would also be nice to have classes for that type of function.

- Bernhard

Re: [math] suggesting rational function and trigonometric functions classes

Posted by Bernhard Grünewaldt <be...@gruenewaldt.net>.
Hi Ted,

As you suggested I opened a ticket for this issue:

:)

- Bernhard

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Reasoning purely by symmetry, doesn't it seem that where you are headed here
is toward an extended rational polynomial class that handles rational
polynomials of a base variable and simple functions of a base variable (such
as trig functions, log and exp)?

If so, then having some kind of unified class would probably be a good
thing.  You could pretty easily support the same functions as the current
Polynomial class (derivative, multiply, add, negate and so on).  The
question of log(-1) and sqrt(-1) is likely to come up, but if you add a
convention for complaining about these, then you should be good to go.

The next step is to file a JIRA where discussions like this can have a home.

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Bernhard Grünewaldt <
bernhard@gruenewaldt.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I used already the classes of the analysis package:
> http://commons.apache.org/math/userguide/analysis.html
>
> There is already a fine class for Polynomial Functions which can calculate
> the derivation:
>
> PolynomialFunction.derivative()
>

> I would like to suggest a class called "RationalFunction" which can do
> almost the same but for (you guessed it) Rational Functions.
>
> Suggested methods are: derivative() , add(RationalFunction r), a.s.o.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_function
>
> If this is something which you would like to have I will start coding it
> to provide a patch.
>
> The next thing is "Trigonometric Functions" and their derivatives:
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_function_derivations#Derivatives_of_trigonometric_functions
>
> It would also be nice to have classes for that type of function.
>

> - Bernhard

Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve