Posted to users@trafficcontrol.apache.org by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@apache.org> on 2017/06/02 14:58:36 UTC

Traffic Portal v2

As many of you know, we've been working on a new Traffic Ops UI that,
unlike the current TO UI, strictly consumes the Traffic Ops API. The source
code for this new UI can be found here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/tree/master/traffic_ops/experimental/ui

It was suggested at the Traffic Control Summit that this new UI should take
the place of the existing Traffic Portal. I think that's a great idea.

However, I think the existing traffic portal may still be of some use so
I'm proposing:

- apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/tree/master/traffic_portal is renamed to
apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/tree/master/traffic_portal_v1

- new UI is moved to
apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/tree/master/traffic_portal

if/when the new traffic_portal does everything the old traffic portal does,
then traffic_portal_v1 can be removed altogether...

Concerns?

Jeremy

Re: Traffic Portal v2

Posted by Hank Beatty <hb...@apache.org>.
+1 on "Traffic Portal"
-1 on naming anything _api

Re: Traffic Portal v2

Posted by Shmulik Asafi <sh...@qwilt.com>.
+1 on naming it Traffic Portal

Re: Traffic Portal v2

Posted by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Traffic Portal v2

Posted by Dewayne Richardson <de...@gmail.com>.

Re: Traffic Portal v2

Posted by "Durfey, Ryan" <Ry...@comcast.com>.
From a naming convention standpoint, would it be more intuitive to name the new pieces “traffic_ops_api”

From: Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 9:14 AM
To: "users@trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org" <us...@trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Traffic Portal v2

- traffic_ops<https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/tree/master/traffic_ops> <-- will eventually only house the TO api
- traffic_ops_db<https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/tree/master/traffic_ops_db>
- traffic_portal<https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/tree/master/traffic_portal>_v1 <-- old traffic portal- traffic_portal<https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/tree/master/traffic_portal> <-- new and improved "traffic portal" that consumes only the TO api (for now)...but can grow beyond TO and potentially be extensible/customizable

refer to the top-level directory structure of the project: https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 7:05 AM, Eric Friedrich (efriedri) <ef...@cisco.com>> wrote:
[...]

- new UI is moved to apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/tree/master/traffic_portal

Re: Traffic Portal v2

Posted by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@gmail.com>.
so based on what Dew said, I think this is his vote for the high-level
projects for TC. I can get on board with this.

- traffic_monitor
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/tree/master/traffic_monitor>
- traffic_monitor_golang
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/tree/master/traffic_monitor_golang>