Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Jochen Walz <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2023/02/06 11:26:10 UTC

Support of jakarta packages

Hi,

At the risk that these questions may have been asked before:

- Which Karaf version will fully support the jakarta packages (jakarta.xml.bind etc.)?
- Will that be disruptive or backward compatible? I.e., will it be possible to run bundles which require the javax packages and bundles which require the jakarta packages?
- Will challenges like finding an XML parser implementation be addressed? Sounds trivial, but may not be so easy to support old and new versions in case of backward compatibility.

Thanks & Regards,
Jochen

Re: Support of jakarta packages

Posted by Jochen Walz <jo...@googlemail.com>.
Hi JB,

When trying that with the xml.bind packages, the parser implementation wasn't found when using the unmarshaller. But that was just a quick check. Maybe I'll have to dig bit more into that. Possibly some new version of the Xerces bundle or an alternative to that will be needed.

Blacklisting javax: for some time, we'll need both in parallel. One 3rd party bundle may still need javax, the other jakarta.

As said, I just did some quick check and wondered whether somebody has already looked into that in detail. So, I'll stay tuned and check the release notes of coming Karaf versions and do some more tests when I find some time.

Thanks & Regards
Jochen

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Jochen,