Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/30 14:49:33 UTC

[FalconJX] Slower builds after dual merge

Some folks mentioned that the compiler has gotten slower after the dual
merge. I recall that it's true even with a debug build and only a single
target. It occurred to me that this could be because the compiler writes
significantly more to the console in 0.8 than it did in previous versions.
Now, I understand that this is useful for debugging the compiler, so I
understand if we don't want to remove it. However, I wonder if most of the
console output should be skipped by default, and some kind of -verbose=true
flag can be set when it's needed.

- Josh

Re: [FalconJX] Slower builds after dual merge

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I initially thought that I was getting slower build times, but I’m no longer so sure.

Using these options, I’m getting roughly 10 second build times

--debug=true
--targets=JSFlex

That’s about the same as I was getting before the switch to dual.

Using debug=false sometimes takes over 3 minutes. I have no way of comparing that to before the dual branch because minification was broken for me before the switch. I don’t know how much of the time is being spent by Falcon and how much by the Google Closure compiler.

I do think a verbose flag is a good idea. I definitely like the fact that it spits out the specified options at the beginning, and unlesss a terse flag is used, I’d like that output.

Another thing to look at is why I’m getting swf output even though I’m using -targets=JSFlex.