Posted to dev@rya.apache.org by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu> on 2016/05/02 17:09:47 UTC

GSoC - community bonding period

Hi Amila,

Were you able to get Accumulo and Rya running on your machine? If not, did
you take a look at the Rya Vagrant example
https://github.com/apache/incubator-rya/tree/develop/extras/vagrantExample/src/main/vagrant
to see if it helps?

During this community bonding period, you will need to refine the project
proposal and have a concrete plan that you can start implementing when the
coding starts. A weekly plan would be best, or at least a plan that has
2-week period sprints. When making the plan, please take into consideration
your outside commitments, exams, etc, and include those in planning, so we
know what to expect.  We will help with the plan, just ask.

In order to make it easy for everyone to collaborate, I created a page on
the Rya Confluence for your proposal - you should be able to create a
Confluence account and edit the page/add pages with details.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RYA/Set-up+continuous+integration+for+Apache+Rya

Here is an example for how a proposal and the details/planning, etc looks
like for a different project (not Rya) from last year GSoC:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRAVATA/%5BGSoC+Proposal%5D+Securing+Airavata+API

Here is a fragment from a message about the expectation for students during
the community bonding period April 22-May 22:

*Community Bonding activities may involve:*

   - Becoming familiar with the community practices and processes. (This
   often involves a mix of observation and participation.)
   - Participating on Mailing Lists / IRC / etc. (Not just lurking.)
   - Setting up their development environment.
   - Small (or large) patches/bug fixes. (These do not need to be directly
   related to their GSoC project.)
   - Participating in code reviews for others. (Even someone who isn't
   familiar with the project can contribute by pointing out potential
   inefficiencies, bad error handling, etc.)
   - Working with their mentor and other org members on refining their
   project plan. This might include finalizing deadlines and milestones,
   adding more detail, figuring out potential issues, etc.
   - If the student is already familiar with the organization, they could
   be helping others get involved in the community.
   - Reading (and updating!) documentation they will need to understand to
   complete their project.
   - Reporting or replicating bugs.

Looking forward to working with you,
Adina

--
Dr. Adina Crainiceanu
Associate Professor, Computer Science Department

Re: GSoC - community bonding period

Posted by David Lotts <dl...@gmail.com>.
Amila, and anyone else:
I have done a pull request.  This is the same file I sent you May 17.
Did you get a chance to try it??  I hoping this makes it into the release.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-rya/pull/47

You should not need to troubleshoot it, just run it and let me know if you
succeeded.  or make a comment in the pull request.  Hopefully there will be
no more silent failures!  If it fails, it will complain horribly at the
point where something failed.

I have attached the vagrant file and instructions.

Download them from here:
https://github.com/DLotts/incubator-rya/blob/RYA-54_vagrant-cleanup-squ/extras/vagrantExample/src/main/vagrant/Vagrantfile
No other bit's of code are needed.  Just the Vagrant install and the
attached.

david.

Posted by David Lotts <dl...@gmail.com>.
Amila,

Posted by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu>.
If you get a 500 error message you should also look into the tomcat log
file, it might provide more info. The war files might not have been
deployed correctly. You should make sure permissions are set correctly and
tomcat is running  before moving/copying the .war files in the webapps
folder for tomcat, so tomcat can deploy them correctly.

Adina

Posted by Fan Yang <fy...@umbc.edu>.
Hi Amila,

Posted by Amila Wijayarathna <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi Fan,
You were right, I didn't download the distribution package correctly. Thank
you for the idea.

After downloading distribution package, i did as the vagrant file says.
but now when i browse in to openrdf-workbench i don't get the correct
window. i get status 500 massage. any idea about this is appreciated.

Thank you!

Posted by Fan Yang <fy...@umbc.edu>.
Hi Amila,

Posted by Amila Wijayarathna <am...@gmail.com>.