Posted to dev@syncope.apache.org by Matteo Di Carlo <ma...@tirasa.net> on 2016/10/07 10:58:03 UTC

[DISCUSS] Skip empty configuration screens in enduser UI

Hi all,
I worked on SYNCOPE-941 issue - Skip empty configuration screens in
enduser UI - and I'd like to discuss about mine and other possible
solutions, in particular about a consequence I ran into.
Since (in edit) the user is able to navigate not only through
navigation buttons but also through the breadcrumb, I decided to build
it dynamically to skip empty screens by not showing the related links
at all on the breadcrumb.

The problem is: during the first initialization of the breadcrumb, in
Credentials, the user can see clearly the breadcrumb'structure changing
while it is initializing.

I have tried to fix this using a spinner that disappears once the
breadcrumb is ready but technically and graphically I didn't find it a
good solution. SYNCOPE-955
Another way to solve it could be leaving the breadcrumb static as it
was and disabling those buttons related to empty screens.

Any thoughts?
Matteo.

Re: [DISCUSS] Skip empty configuration screens in enduser UI

Posted by Matteo Di Carlo <ma...@tirasa.net>.

On 07/10/2016 15:37, andrea wrote:

> Il 07/10/2016 15:21, Francesco Chicchiriccò ha scritto:

>>> Hi Matteo, FMPOV we can revert the commit on 941 and mark both
>>> "won't fix".
>>>
>>> Considering the end-user console is usually the mainly component to
>>> be customized during an IdM project I do think the effort to provide
>>> the fix for 955 is not justified.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>
>> As the Enduser is primarily meant to be deeply adapted to every
>> deployment's specific needs - and thus should be considered as a
>> 'reference implementation' rather than a final deployable - skipping
>> empty screens (SYNCOPE-941) and fixing the consequent quirks
>> (SYNCOPE-955) should not be applicable.
>>
>> Things were instead different for SYNCOPE-885 (essentially, the
>> SYNCOPE-941 counterpart for admin console), since the admin console
>> is ordinarily meant to be deployed 'as-is', even though some degree
>> of customization is always possible.
>>
>> For such reasons I am +1 to revert the commits for SYNCOPE-941 and to
>> close that one and SYNCOPE-955 as "Won't fix".
>>
>> Regards.
>>
> I agree with you.
> This issue (SYNCOPE-941) is surely meaningful for the actual enduser
> console, but opened a series of minor (but required) graphical changes
> (see SYNCOPE-955, but maybe other) that could be done for the nth
> installation, that (paradoxically) could even get rid of breadcrumb or
> reimplement it from scratch.
>
> Best regards,
> Andrea

Thanks everyone, I agree.
Every solution I thought has the same graphical problem because
breadcrumb initialization depends on groups and schemas, which are
loaded in multiple and asynchronous steps.
I revert the commits as you suggest.

Posted by andrea <an...@tirasa.net>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: [DISCUSS] Skip empty configuration screens in enduser UI

Posted by Fabio Martelli <fa...@gmail.com>.
Il 07/10/2016 12:58, Matteo Di Carlo ha scritto:
> Hi all,
> I worked on SYNCOPE-941 issue - Skip empty configuration screens in
> enduser UI - and I'd like to discuss about mine and other possible
> solutions, in particular about a consequence I ran into.
> Since (in edit) the user is able to navigate not only through
> navigation buttons but also through the breadcrumb, I decided to build
> it dynamically to skip empty screens by not showing the related links
> at all on the breadcrumb.
>
> The problem is: during the first initialization of the breadcrumb, in
> Credentials, the user can see clearly the breadcrumb'structure
> changing while it is initializing.
>
> I have tried to fix this using a spinner that disappears once the
> breadcrumb is ready but technically and graphically I didn't find it a
> good solution. SYNCOPE-955
> Another way to solve it could be leaving the breadcrumb static as it
> was and disabling those buttons related to empty screens.
>
> Any thoughts?
> Matteo.

Hi Mateo, FMPOV we can revert the commit on 941 and mark both "won't fix".

Considering the end-user console is usually the mainly component to be
customized during an IdM project I do think the effort to provide the
fix for 955 is not justified.

WDYT?

Best regards,

F.