Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Warhurst, SI (Spencer) " <S....@rl.ac.uk> on 2003/01/02 13:16:19 UTC

[users@httpd] Directory Indexing revisited

Hi

Before Xmas I set up HeaderName & ReadmeName files to change the look of
directory listings on one of my servers. In the server config I have the
following lines:

<Directory e:/www/files">
    Options Indexes
    AllowOverride All
    HeaderName "../header.html"
    ReadmeName "../footer.html"
    IndexOptions DescriptionWidth=75 +SuppressHTMLPreamble
</Directory>

The "header.html" & "footer.html" files are stored in the e:/www/files
directory. Under e:/www/files there are thousands of other directories and
it is those directories that users will be looking at via the web, hence the
"../" in the paths for HeaderName and ReadmeName.

Questions:
--------
1) The first problem I have is that in some cases there might be
subdirectories under the main directories and therefore with the above
configuration, those subdirectories will not have the new look. IE: A
listing of "/files/sub1" will have the customised look, however a listing of
"/files/sub1/minutes" will not. I just want ALL subdirectories under
"e:/www/files" to have the new look, but since you don't seem to be able to
specify a fixed path for HeaderName and ReadmeName then this wont work. Am I
missing something here and is there a way round this problem?

2) With a normal file listing you get column headers like this:

Name   Last modified   Size   Description

Now that works fine and I want those to appear, however some of these
directories are password protected and some files have descriptions against
them. Both these features require a .htaccess file but, where a .htaccess
file is present, when Apache does a directory listing the column headers
don't appear yet the customised look does.

Does anyone know why this is happening and what I can do about it?

Thanks

--
Spencer Warhurst