Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hassan <hs...@ntlworld.com> on 2003/06/05 22:26:32 UTC

JDBC and MS Access DB connectivity.

I'm trying to use DataSource objects (eventually connection pooling) with MS
Access Database.
My question is, do we have to have an ODBC-JDBC Bridge driver in place in
$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/ location for using javax.sql.DataSource objects
to create connections to the database.
If so, where do I get this jar file for the driver?

cheers
Hassan

Re: [OFF-TOPIC] Re: JDBC and MS Access DB connectivity.

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <ja...@jblinux.org>.
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 05:37, Hassan wrote:

> Your advise sounds very interesting and i'll look into the MySQL database
> to check the available possibilities. The only reason I'm using Access is
> that my current staff is affluent in that.

This is getting further off-topic but if it leads to one less use of MS Access
then it is worth it... You should look at PHPMyAdmin to help your staff make
the move to MySQL, I am often amazed at how good of a tool it is and I always
loathe going back to SQL Server's Enterprise Manager afterwards...

Jason Bainbridge
http://jblinux.org

Re: [OFF-TOPIC] Re: JDBC and MS Access DB connectivity.

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <ja...@jblinux.org>.

Posted by Hassan <hs...@ntlworld.com>.
Hi John,

>From the functional specs on
http://industry.java.sun.com/products/jdbc/drivers, EasySoft's driver does
not support DataSources!

>From Tomcat 4 documentation, it appears as you need to have a jar file
(physical copy) of the driver placed in common/lib directory in order for
Tomcat to set its classpath. Is this the case for built in generic drivers
also, such as sun.jdbc.odbc.

I'm getting the error ' Driver  not found in the classpath.' when I try
DataSource mechanism.

Hassan

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.

Posted by Michael Rimov <ri...@centercomp.com>.
At 09:26 PM 6/5/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>I'm trying to use DataSource objects (eventually connection pooling) with MS
>Access Database.
>My question is, do we have to have an ODBC-JDBC Bridge driver in place in
>$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/ location for using javax.sql.DataSource objects
>to create connections to the database.
>If so, where do I get this jar file for the driver?

JDBC-ODBC bridge comes AFAICT as part of the JDK.  HOWEVER, don't
[emphasis] use it for production use.  And I even doubt if the default
bridge implements javax.sql.DataSource....  [Can't verify, but since it
doesn't even do Metadata for tables, I'm dubious about it ]
If you MUST use production JDBC to ODBC  then perhaps try something like
Easysoft's drivers. {Commercial}

http://www.easysoft.com/products/2003/main.phtml

[I haven't tried it myself... but they advertise a 'production quality'
bridge, and I've at least used their InterBase ODBC driver with success]

HTH,
                                         -Mike