Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Netdynamix <cg...@netdynamix.co.za> on 2007/08/08 06:49:18 UTC

Training SPAM Assassin and keeping it upto date automatically

Hi There,

I am getting a HUGE amount of Spam which basically states that a Friend,
Collegue, Worshipper, Fan, etc has sent me an eCard...

This is happening to a number of my clients as well...

I want to beef up SpamAssassin and get it up to date so that it can tag
incoming spam better... currently 80% of my emails that are SPAM are getting
through SpamAssassin.

I would also like to keep SpamAssassin up to date automatically. I have
heard that there is some script that I can CRON to keep SpamAssassin up to
date and trained from some external source?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Chris

Re: Training SPAM Assassin and keeping it upto date automatically

Posted by Wilb <ad...@gmail.com>.
You need to look at sa-update and sa-learn. Make sure you're using a
recent version of SpamAssassin.

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
>Hi John,
>
>Thank you for the CF.
>The problem is that once I have dropped it into /etc/mail/spamassassin
>and when I run spamassassin --lint
>
>It drops quite a few errors.
>
>And the eCard Spam keeps coming through :(
>
>Am I doing something wrong?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Chris

Maybe you got garbage in your download. It caused no --lint errors here.

cd /etc/mail/spamassassin
rm postcards.cf
wget http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/antispam/postcards.cf
spamassassin --lint

Gary V

Puzzles, trivia teasers, word scrambles and more. Play for your chance to
win! http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_hotmailtextlink

Re: Training SPAM Assassin and keeping it upto date automatically

Posted by Netdynamix <cg...@netdynamix.co.za>.
Hi John,

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Bob Proulx wrote:

> John D. Hardin wrote:
> > As far as the greeting card spams are concerned, here's a specific
> > rule that appears to work well:
> >
> >   http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/antispam/postcards.cf
>
> Hmm...  Only POSTCARD_01 was given a score.  Was that intentional?

Yes. The default score is 1.0

  USMC Rules of Gunfighting #2: Anything worth shooting is worth
  shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Your life is expensive.
 7 days until The 62nd anniversary of the end of World War II

Re: Training SPAM Assassin and keeping it upto date automatically

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
John D. Hardin wrote:
> As far as the greeting card spams are concerned, here's a specific
> rule that appears to work well:
>
>   http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/antispam/postcards.cf

Hmm...  Only POSTCARD_01 was given a score.  Was that intentional?

Bob

Re: Training SPAM Assassin and keeping it upto date automatically

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Netdynamix wrote:

> I am getting a HUGE amount of Spam which basically states that a
> Friend, Collegue, Worshipper, Fan, etc has sent me an eCard...
>
> This is happening to a number of my clients as well...

As far as the greeting card spams are concerned, here's a specific
rule that appears to work well:

  http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/antispam/postcards.cf

  Liberals love sex ed because it teaches kids to be safe around their
  sex organs. Conservatives love gun education because it teaches kids
  to be safe around guns. However, both believe that the other's
  education goals lead to dangers too terrible to contemplate.
 7 days until The 62nd anniversary of the end of World War II