Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Sijie Guo <si...@apache.org> on 2018/07/19 23:43:00 UTC

[VOTE] Pulsar Release 2.1.0-incubating Candidate 5

This is the 5th release candidate for Apache Pulsar, version
2.1.0-incubating.

It introduces following main features:

- Pulsar I/O: a serverless connector framework built on top of Pulsar
Functions.
- TieredStorage: offloads bookkeeper ledgers to a cold storage (like S3).
- Stateful Function: Pulsar Functions supports storing state back to
bookkeeper.
- Go Client: a Go client wrapping over existing cpp client.
- Avro and Protobuf schema are supported.

Full list of changes and fixes are available:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/milestone/13?closed=1

*** Please download, test and vote on this release. This vote will stay open
for at least 72 hours ***

Note that we are voting upon the source (tag), binaries are provided for
convenience.

Source and binary files:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/pulsar/pulsar-2.1.0-incubating-candidate-5/

SHA-1 checksums:

f0f6b6d7c48d119da36fc4fa1f934fd1f9ba8498
./apache-pulsar-2.1.0-incubating-bin.tar.gz

b6a968249a7c5d21be89ece27895b862efda9a92
./apache-pulsar-2.1.0-incubating-src.tar.gz

ddcf929eb18082ff2b9979507054453e8e803ed3
./apache-pulsar-io-connectors-2.1.0-incubating-bin.tar.gz

Maven staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachepulsar-1025/

The tag to be voted upon:
v2.1.0-incubating-candidate-5 (75f79b77f55fbad351cb517e7f3b8ba4ab2dc177)
https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/releases/tag/v2.1.0-incubating-candidate-5

Pulsar's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/pulsar/KEYS

Please download the the source package, and follow the README to build
and run the Pulsar standalone service.

A few notes for reviewing/voting 2.1.0 release:

- Starting from this release, we are shipping RPM & DEB packages for pulsar
non-java clients.
- Starting from this release, we are shipping a binary distribution called
`apache-pulsar-io-connectors`
  including all built-in connectors. Each connector is packaged with all
their dependencies and
  a META-INF/DEPEDENCIES file with licensing information for
all dependencies.
- Since there are a lot of features introduced in 2.1, I put up an
instruction for people to validate release candidate
   on different features:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/wiki/Release-Candidate-Validation

Re: [VOTE] Pulsar Release 2.1.0-incubating Candidate 5

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

> On Jul 23, 2018, at 4:55 PM, Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 11:12 AM Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> (3) Pulsar IO Connectors NAR files.
>> Signature and checksums pass.
>> LICENSE and DISCLAIMER exist in the top level of the package.
>> LICENSE and NOTICE plus DEPENDENCIES exist in the NAR files.
>>
>> ==> DISCLAIMER should be included in the NAR files.
>> ==> NOTICE should also be at the top level.
>>

> It's a bit tricky to add these. We are using the Apache NiFi NAR maven
> plugin to generate the archives. To add custom files, we would probably
> have to customize the plugin itself.

Does the NAR system generate the whole package or just the individual NAR files?

Someone could go to dev@nifi.apache.org and ask.

It looks like the Debian project may be finally defining these. https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/

> (5) RPM
>> Signature and checksums pass
>> NOTICE, LICENSE, and DISCLAIMER look good.
>>
>> ==> I’m curious about how the sqlite binary files are used.
>>

> The sqlite binary files (and similarly the Packages.gz for Debian) are used
> by the package manages (yum or apt-get) to fetch the metadata of the
> available packages.
>
> The idea would be for users to first import the YUM repository and then do
> the regular `yum install apache-pulsar-client`.
>
> Once the binaries are available on mirrors, we'll be adding instructions,
> similar to what Cassandra has for rpm/deb files at
> http://cassandra.apache.org/download/

Great.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.
+1

Environment: MacOS 10.13

Checked:
 * Signatures, crc
 * Bin distribution:
     - NOTICE, README, LICENSE
     - Start standalone service and producer/consumer test
 * Src distribution:
     - NOTICE,  README, LICENSE
     - Compile and unit tests
     - RAT check
     - Start standalone service
 * Checked staging maven repository artifacts

Matteo

Posted by Jerry Peng <je...@gmail.com>.
Yup dave, we can definitely add that

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Jerry,

Posted by Jerry Peng <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.
The git error can be fixed by adding
<failOnNoGitDirectory>false</failOnNoGitDirectory>

It already has failOnUnableToExtractRepoInfo as false, which I assumed
would cover this case.

-Ivan

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
any more review comments?

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Okay will remove it.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Sijie,

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
HI Dave,

My key is already there :

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Sijie,

[DISCUSS][VOTE] Pulsar Release 2.1.0-incubating Candidate 5

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

I noted an addition of libstdc++ linkage and the "GCC RUNTIME LIBRARY EXCEPTION”.

This is likely to be OK, but has not been documented on the Legal Resolved webpage.

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/LEGAL/issues/LEGAL-390 for the NetBeans podling’s request.

I don’t see an issue with proceeding, but the podling needs to be aware.

[RESULT] [VOTE] Pulsar Release 2.1.0-incubating Candidate 5

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
The vote for releasing Apache Pulsar 2.1.0-incubating is now closed.

With a total of +3 binding votes and no -1 votes, the
vote passes.

+1s (binding):
 * Matteo Merli
 * Jerry Peng
 * Dave Fisher

Thank you to all the reviewers for taking the time to validate this release.

- Sijie

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

This is because gitcommit plugin in the maven profile. It assumes the
working directory is a git repo. It can be skipped with " -Dmaven.
*gitcommitid*.*skip*=true "

If you run "mvn clean install -DskipTests -Dmaven.gitcommitid.skip=true",
it should be working. I am not sure if that is an issue for blocking a
release, I would like to see what other people's opinions as well.

Also is this the only issue are you seeing?

I would appreciate if all reviewers can review the whole release candidate
and point out the problems that he found. so I can fix them in the next
release candidate.

- Sijie

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -