Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com> on 2012/02/29 15:50:23 UTC

[VOTE] Next Mahout Release Goals and Release Name

We have been discussing these two topics on this list for a while now
and the PMC would like to invite all Mahout developers to weigh in on
calling the questions. Please submit your votes in the range -1,...,+1
for the following 4 options:

Release Goals:
- refactoring and cleanup of existing functionality
- new functionality

Release Name:
- Mahout 0.7
- Mahout 0.6.1

Voting will close in the usual 72 hours. At that point, I will sum the
votes and report the results. One result will be selected in each
category based upon the voting of the community at large.

Jeff Eastman

Re: [VOTE] Next Mahout Release Goals and Release Name

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
I've set the target date for 0.7 to be May 15th and the target date for
0.8 to be Nov 15th.
Jeff

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
me too :)

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
I vote the same as Shannon.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu> wrote:

>  - refactoring and cleanup of existing functionality
>>

> +1

+1

>  - new functionality
>>

> -1

-0

>  - Mahout 0.7
>>

> +1 (I don't see any reason why a big refactoring/cleanup effort can't be a
> major release)

+1

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.
> - refactoring and cleanup of existing functionality

+1

> - new functionality

-1

Posted by Paritosh Ranjan <pr...@xebia.com>.
- refactoring and cleanup of existing functionality
+1 ( Refactoring is always good until it reaches to the stage of gold
plating )

- new functionality
+0.5 ( Cleaning and Developing new functionality at the same time  would
be a waste of time, so against development of new functionality.
However, this period can be used to set up the backlog for future
sprints, read release planning ( Mahout 0.8/Mahout 0.6.2 ) )

- Mahout 0.7
0

- Mahout 0.6.1
0

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
For a cleanup, I would grump if somebody adds a whole new set of
algorithms.  But I wouldn't grump about cleaning up methods that currently
throw UnsupportedOperationException by adding simple-ish implementations.
 The latter is new functionality that serves as cleanup.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Next Mahout Release Goals and Release Name

Posted by Tom Pierce <tc...@cloudera.com>.

0

> - Mahout 0.6.1
0

-tom

Re: [VOTE] Next Mahout Release Goals and Release Name

Posted by Frank Scholten <fr...@frankscholten.nl>.
My votes (non-binding)

> Release Goals:
> - refactoring and cleanup of existing functionality

+1 And speeding up the build

> - new functionality

+1 for improvements or things that make existing Mahout features
easier to use, like MAHOUT-833 (making seqdirectory MapReduce) and
MAHOUT-944 (lucene2seq).
-1 For introducing entirely new algorithms

> - Mahout 0.7

+1

> Mahout 0.6.1

-1

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Feb 29, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Jeff Eastman wrote:
>
> > We have been discussing these two topics on this list for a while now
> and the PMC would like to invite all Mahout developers to weigh in on
> calling the questions. Please submit your votes in the range -1,...,+1 for
> the following 4 options:
> >
> > Release Goals:
> > - refactoring and cleanup of existing functionality

+1

> - new functionality
>
> +0 - I'd say minor stuff is OK, as it probably could be called cleanup
> anyway.  For example (not implying this will happen), new APIs for
> accessing the Hadoop functionality instead of being cmd line driven.  Also,
> the parallel Baum Welch is replacing existing functionality with a M/R
> version and has been baking for a long time.

+epsilon

If the "new functionality" is something cleanup-y or has been sitting
around a long time, then "cleaning up JIRA" is cleanup too.

> > Release Name:
> > - Mahout 0.7

+1

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Feb 29, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Jeff Eastman wrote:

> We have been discussing these two topics on this list for a while now and the PMC would like to invite all Mahout developers to weigh in on calling the questions. Please submit your votes in the range -1,...,+1 for the following 4 options:
>
> Release Goals:
> - refactoring and cleanup of existing functionality

+1

> - new functionality

+0 - I'd say minor stuff is OK, as it probably could be called cleanup anyway.  For example (not implying this will happen), new APIs for accessing the Hadoop functionality instead of being cmd line driven.  Also, the parallel Baum Welch is replacing existing functionality with a M/R version and has been baking for a long time.

> Release Name:
> - Mahout 0.7

+1