Posted to commits@cassandra.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2009/05/06 18:05:51 UTC

[Cassandra Wiki] Update of "Setup" by EricEvans

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Cassandra Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by EricEvans:
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Setup

The comment on the change is:
imported from confluence wiki

New page:
There is a standard config that comes with the download of Cassandra. Here is a description of some of the basic information that needs to be in the configuration file:

||'''Property'''||'''Description'''||'''Default'''||
||!ClusterName||The name of this cluster. This is mainly used to prevent machines in another logical cluster from joining any other cluster.||Test||
||!HashingStrategy||Partitioning strategy required. Choices are RANDOM and OPHF||RANDOM||
||!RackAware||Replication policy preferred. For now just say false||false||
||!MulticastChannel||This is not used anymore.||||
||!ReplicationFactor||Replication factor desired||3||
||!ZookeeperAddress||This is not used currently.||||
||!RpcTimeoutInMillis||RPC timeout in milliseconds||2000||
||!StoragePort||TCP port on which all inter cluster communication takes place.||7000||
||!ControlPort||UDP port on which all cluster membership communications occur.||7001||
||ColumnIndexSizeInKB||Size after which columns are indexed by the system||256KB||
||!HttpPort||HTTP port for the WEB dashboard.||80||
||!MetadataDirectory||Cassandra metadata information location.||||
||!CommitLogDirectory||Location of the commit log.||||
||!CommitLogRotationThresholdInMB||Size after which commit log needs to be rotated.||128||
||!Seeds||This is for dynamic node discovery. Nodes discover other nodes by initially contacting the seeds.||||

After the installation step navigate to the directory that contains the ANT build config and type "ant jar" at the prompt. Some common problems in the deployment steps are:

 * Modify the start-server script to the -Dstorage-config property to the location which contains the storage-conf.xml
 * Make sure the log4j.properties also resides in the same location as above.
 * Make sure the directory location for the log4j log files are pre-created or you could make them part of the start-server script.
 * Modify the Java heap settings in the start-server as per your requirements.

Typical Cassandra deployment has been on machines with 16GB RAM dual CPU quad core machines and more disks the better. We have typically used 3 disks per machine.