Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Wang, Mary Y" <ma...@boeing.com> on 2010/04/24 17:07:15 UTC

[users@httpd] Two Name-Based Virtual Hosts : Two SSL Certificates?

Hi,

I've two name-based virtual hosts defined (two name web sites on a single IP address).  I only requested one SSL certificate for the main site.   My application is running on the main site first and goes to the second site when user's click on a specific button. Whenever the URL points to the second site, Firefox detected the server certificate belongs to a different site.

Is it a common practice when have two or most name-based virtual hosts running on a single IP on Apache, request a SSL certificate for EACH host name? If so, do I just add the SSLCertificateFile and SSLCertificateKeyFile information in the <VirtualHost> container for the second site as well?

I'm running on Apache 2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Mary

Re: [users@httpd] Two Name-Based Virtual Hosts : Two SSL Certificates?

Posted by Jason Nunnelley <ja...@jasonn.com>.
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/NameBasedSSLVHostsWithSNI

I tend to trust the Apache wiki. It says Safari 3.2.1 on Mac OS X 10.5.6
is supported. No notes on iPhone.

IE7 on XP is not supported. There's an awful lot of XP boxes running IE7
(some still running IE6).

--

Jason A. Nunnelley
+1 2562971652

http://www.google.com/profiles/imjasonn

[Member Tekany, LLC]

Re: [users@httpd] Two Name-Based Virtual Hosts : Two SSL Certificates?

Posted by Michael Ni <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Nunnelley <ja...@jasonn.com>.

Posted by Crypto Sal <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Ni <mi...@gmail.com>.
i had the same issue,

i would buy another ssl cert for your 2nd host.

you also need another IP for your 2nd host.

make sure your dns server are pointing to the right ips depending on the
host

you need to register two ssl certs

make sure you have that SSLChain..... thing in your virutal host so Safari
browser won't bug out