Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Jared Bunting <Ja...@mail.wvu.edu> on 2007/06/27 17:06:22 UTC

Mapping my publication to the root url

Greetings,

I have a question about mapping my publication.  It seems by default in lenya the url is such http://${host}/${publicationName}/

Well, I am trying to figure out a way to get the url for accessing my publication to http://${host}/  - with the publication name configured somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jared

Re: Mapping my publication to the root url

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.
Jared Bunting wrote:
> I'm actually using oracle application server with oracle http server ( an apache derivative ) in front.
>
> I think I could work this out with mod_rewrite, but I was hoping to find a way to setup lenya to do this.  I don't really have much control over the apache configurations.
>
> Thanks,
> Jared

I've always just done it using mod_rewrite. I don't know that there is a
way of doing inside of Lenya.

Re: Mapping my publication to the root url

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jared Bunting schrieb:
> I like that idea, I'll look into that.
>
> It's too bad though, it kinda feels like that assumption on the url
> throws out a lot of the benefits of abstraction that cocoon and the
> sitemaps give us.

IIRC this issue has been discussed a long time ago - we decided not to
provide this option because it would have made the application much
more complex and in most scenarios one would use a proxy anyway.

-- Andreas

> Thanks, Jared

> Jared Bunting schrieb:
>> That seems to be about the state of it from what I've been able to
>> find.  But it looks as if, even if I can convince the sitemap to do
>>  it, I'll run into problems in the
>>
>> public static Publication getPublicationFromUrl(ServiceManager
>> manager, DocumentFactory factory, String webappUrl) method of
>> PublicationUtil.
>>
>> From what I can tell, it just assumes that the publication name is
>> in the url.  Is my assumption here correct?
>
> Yes - I'm afraid that you'll enter a world of pain if you try to
> remove the publication ID from the URL without a proxy. Lenya is
> built upon the assumption that the URL looks like this.
>
> Maybe there is a way to use another servlet as a proxy if you can't
> change the Apache configuration.
>
> -- Andreas
>
>> Thanks, Jared

>> Jared Bunting wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry...meant to include the previous discussion in here...
>>>
>>> I'm actually using oracle application server with oracle http
>>> server ( an apache derivative ) in front.
>>>
>>> I think I could work this out with mod_rewrite, but I was hoping
>>> to find a way to setup lenya to do this.  I don't really have
>>> much control over the apache configurations.
>>>

>> you can deploy Lenya within the Root context, but then you still
>> have the publication and area prefix.
>>
>> I think with some customization within the sitemaps you could also
>> get rid of these too, but not out-of-the box.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Michael
>>
>>> Thanks, Jared

>>> are you using an apache httpd with mod_proxy in front of Tomcat?
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Michael

Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH
http://www.becompany.ch

Re: Mapping my publication to the root url

Posted by Jared Bunting <Ja...@mail.wvu.edu>.

Jared Bunting schrieb:
> That seems to be about the state of it from what I've been able to
> find.  But it looks as if, even if I can convince the sitemap to do
> it, I'll run into problems in the
>
> public static Publication getPublicationFromUrl(ServiceManager
> manager, DocumentFactory factory, String webappUrl) method of
> PublicationUtil.
>
> From what I can tell, it just assumes that the publication name is in
> the url.  Is my assumption here correct?

Yes - I'm afraid that you'll enter a world of pain if you try to
remove the publication ID from the URL without a proxy. Lenya is
built upon the assumption that the URL looks like this.

Maybe there is a way to use another servlet as a proxy if you can't
change the Apache configuration.

-- Andreas

> Thanks, Jared

> Jared Bunting wrote:
>
>> Sorry...meant to include the previous discussion in here...
>>
>> I'm actually using oracle application server with oracle http
>> server ( an apache derivative ) in front.
>>
>> I think I could work this out with mod_rewrite, but I was hoping to
>> find a way to setup lenya to do this.  I don't really have much
>> control over the apache configurations.
>>

> you can deploy Lenya within the Root context, but then you still have
>  the publication and area prefix.
>
> I think with some customization within the sitemaps you could also
> get rid of these too, but not out-of-the box.
>
> HTH
>
> Michael
>
>> Thanks, Jared

>> Jared Bunting wrote:
>>

>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I have a question about mapping my publication.  It seems by
>>> default in lenya the url is such
>>> http://${host}/${publicationName}/
>>>
>>> Well, I am trying to figure out a way to get the url for
>>> accessing my publication to http://${host}/  - with the
>>> publication name configured somewhere.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>

>> are you using an apache httpd with mod_proxy in front of Tomcat?
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Michael
>>

>>> Thanks, Jared

Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH
http://www.becompany.ch

Re: Mapping my publication to the root url

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jared Bunting schrieb:
> That seems to be about the state of it from what I've been able to
> find.  But it looks as if, even if I can convince the sitemap to do
> it, I'll run into problems in the
>
> public static Publication getPublicationFromUrl(ServiceManager
> manager, DocumentFactory factory, String webappUrl) method of
> PublicationUtil.
>
> From what I can tell, it just assumes that the publication name is in
> the url.  Is my assumption here correct?

Yes - I'm afraid that you'll enter a world of pain if you try to
remove the publication ID from the URL without a proxy. Lenya is
built upon the assumption that the URL looks like this.

Maybe there is a way to use another servlet as a proxy if you can't
change the Apache configuration.

-- Andreas

> Thanks, Jared

> Jared Bunting wrote:
>
>> Sorry...meant to include the previous discussion in here...
>>
>> I'm actually using oracle application server with oracle http
>> server ( an apache derivative ) in front.
>>
>> I think I could work this out with mod_rewrite, but I was hoping to
>> find a way to setup lenya to do this.  I don't really have much
>> control over the apache configurations.
>>

> you can deploy Lenya within the Root context, but then you still have
>  the publication and area prefix.
>
> I think with some customization within the sitemaps you could also
> get rid of these too, but not out-of-the box.
>
> HTH
>
> Michael
>
>> Thanks, Jared

>> Jared Bunting wrote:
>>

>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I have a question about mapping my publication.  It seems by
>>> default in lenya the url is such
>>> http://${host}/${publicationName}/
>>>
>>> Well, I am trying to figure out a way to get the url for
>>> accessing my publication to http://${host}/  - with the
>>> publication name configured somewhere.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>

>> are you using an apache httpd with mod_proxy in front of Tomcat?
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Michael
>>

>>> Thanks, Jared

Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH
http://www.becompany.ch

Re: Mapping my publication to the root url

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jared Bunting wrote:

>That seems to be about the state of it from what I've been able to find.  But it looks as if, even if I can convince the sitemap to do it, I'll run into problems in the
>
>public static Publication getPublicationFromUrl(ServiceManager manager, DocumentFactory factory, String webappUrl)
>method of PublicationUtil.
>
>>>From what I can tell, it just assumes that the publication name is in the url.  Is my assumption here correct?

I am afraid so, but maybe somebody else knows better.

But something like mod_proxy should work quite well.

Cheers

Michael

>Thanks,
>Jared

>Jared Bunting wrote:
>

>>Sorry...meant to include the previous discussion in here...
>>
>>I'm actually using oracle application server with oracle http server ( an apache derivative ) in front.
>>
>>I think I could work this out with mod_rewrite, but I was hoping to find a way to setup lenya to do this.  I don't really have much control over the apache configurations.
>>

>you can deploy Lenya within the Root context, but then you still have
>the publication and area prefix.
>
>I think with some customization within the sitemaps you could also get
>rid of these too, but not out-of-the box.
>
>HTH
>
>Michael
>

>>Thanks,
>>Jared

>>Jared Bunting wrote:
>>

>>>Greetings,
>>>
>>>I have a question about mapping my publication.  It seems by default in lenya the url is such http://${host}/${publicationName}/
>>>
>>>Well, I am trying to figure out a way to get the url for accessing my publication to http://${host}/  - with the publication name configured somewhere.
>>>
>>>Any thoughts?
>>>

>>are you using an apache httpd with mod_proxy in front of Tomcat?
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>Michael
>>

>>>Thanks,
>>>Jared

Michael Wechner
Wyona      -   Open Source Content Management - Yanel, Yulup
http://www.wyona.com
michael.wechner@wyona.com, michi@apache.org
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: Mapping my publication to the root url

Posted by Jared Bunting <Ja...@mail.wvu.edu>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by Jared Bunting <Ja...@mail.wvu.edu>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.