Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> on 2013/05/02 21:54:31 UTC

Source form Re: What constitutes a source release?

Sam Ruby wrote on Thu, May 02, 2013 at 15:24:29 -0400:
> We may very well have to look at each specific font to determine what
> the "preferred form for making modifications" would be.

Why are you saying "the" preferred form?  Probably because ALv2 says so,
but wouldn't it be better to s/the preferred/a preferred/ in the
definition below?

      "Source" form shall mean the preferred form for making modifications,
      including but not limited to software source code, documentation
      source, and configuration files.

Daniel
(that's something we could do if/when ALv2.1 happens)

Re: Source form Re: What constitutes a source release?

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Sam Ruby wrote on Thu, May 02, 2013 at 16:34:53 -0400:
> On 05/02/2013 03:54 PM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>> Sam Ruby wrote on Thu, May 02, 2013 at 15:24:29 -0400:
>>> We may very well have to look at each specific font to determine what
>>> the "preferred form for making modifications" would be.
>>
>> Why are you saying "the" preferred form?  Probably because ALv2 says so,
>> but wouldn't it be better to s/the preferred/a preferred/ in the
>> definition below?
>>
>>        "Source" form shall mean the preferred form for making modifications,
>>        including but not limited to software source code, documentation
>>        source, and configuration files.
>
> I suspect that would be considered too weak, ambiguous, and subject to
> mischief.  If this ever should become and issue, I would rather push
> back on the relevant PMC and task them with coming to consensus and
> unambiguously documenting what they collectively consider the preferred

Thanks for the reply.  I suppose there's a way to backflip out of this
(by adding language that clarifies that the maximum implied in "the
(most) preferred" may not be unique), if we really wanted to.

Is there a place we collect issues to review at ALv3 time at?  (like
Subversion's issue tracker has "milestone=2.0" and "milestone=blue-sky")

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Teeing off on one of Sam's remarks, I wish that someone would replace this
thread with a very specific thread that proposes a very specific policy for
a very specific category of fonts, giving a practical justification (here's
why we want one of these in the source tree), and an argument about the
'verifiability risk' (can voters reasonably tell what they are voting on).

On the other hand, I'd note that nothing stops someone from pushing a cat B
font to a repo manager like Maven Central, and having build automation pull
it down. This might obviate the discussion.

RE: Source form Re: What constitutes a source release?

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Regardless of the philosophical musings here about Apache policy (which have long confused me!), copyright law doesn't distinguish between source and object forms unless the license distinguishes. [1] And even then, it should make no difference to the way that software is used or distributed under an open source license. Consider, for most legal purposes, that source and object forms are identical in purpose and effect.

If you need "source code" to understand the software, demand it from the licensor as the FOSS license provides. If you need to distribute "object code" for convenience, do so as the FOSS license provides. Otherwise, who gives a damn whether it is source or object?

/Larry

[1] Copyright law only cares about that distinction when software is protected under the DMCA by licensors distributing binary code as a confidentiality measure. But this has nothing to do with FOSS software.

Re: Source form Re: What constitutes a source release?

Posted by Henri Yandell <he...@yandell.org>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>wrote:

> Sam Ruby wrote on Thu, May 02, 2013 at 15:24:29 -0400:
> > We may very well have to look at each specific font to determine what
> > the "preferred form for making modifications" would be.
>
> Why are you saying "the" preferred form?  Probably because ALv2 says so,
> but wouldn't it be better to s/the preferred/a preferred/ in the
> definition below?

I'm not a native English speaker, but "a preferred form" does not sound
precise. I guess "a suitable form" (versus "the preferred form amongst the
suitable ones") would be more precise.

People could claim that, for instance, non-obfuscated classfile format of
.java files is "a suitable form for making modifications". It is indeed,
for instance, for BCEL and other similar instrumentation tools... Just as
an example of areas where precision can be important. Agreed that for font
files or graphics this concept is not so cleancut, but Sam already outlines
a clear path to solve any such ambiguity...

Regards
Santiago