Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2023/01/12 20:17:31 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.85 (round 2)

The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.85 release is now available for voting.

[[[
Note that the previous tag has been replaced with a new one which
contains the signature files produced during the release-build. The
commit-id of the tag has therefore changed as noted later in this
message. The files uploaded to the Tomcat release directory and to Maven
are unchanged. There are no other changes to the tag from the previous
8.5.85 tag. The files added are:

res/install-win/tomcat-installer.exe.sig
res/install-win/Uninstall.exe.sig
]]]

The notable changes compared to 8.5.84 are:

- The default value of <code>AccessLogValue</code>'s file encoding is
   now UTF-8.

- Correct a regression in the refactoring that replaced the use of the
   URL constructors. The regression broke lookups for resources that
   contained one or more characters in their name that required escaping
   when used in a URI path.

- When an HTTP/2 stream was reset, the current active stream count was
   not reduced. If enough resets occurred on a connection, the current
   active stream count limit was reached and no new streams could be
   created on that connection.

- Change the default of the org.apache.el.GET_CLASSLOADER_USE_PRIVILEGED
   system property to true unless the EL library is running on Tomcat in
   which case the default remains false as the EL library is already
   called from within a privileged block and skipping the unnecessary
   privileged block improves performance.

Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.

For full details, see the changelog:
https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-8.5.x/docs/changelog.html

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.85/

The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1416

The tag is:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.85/
7b1f4ce0b82641bf76a3d763bd97d5522513b57b

The proposed 8.5.85 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.85 (stable)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.85 (round 2)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.85 release is now available for voting.
>
> [[[
> Note that the previous tag has been replaced with a new one which
> contains the signature files produced during the release-build. The
> commit-id of the tag has therefore changed as noted later in this
> message. The files uploaded to the Tomcat release directory and to Maven
> are unchanged. There are no other changes to the tag from the previous
> 8.5.85 tag. The files added are:
>
> res/install-win/tomcat-installer.exe.sig
> res/install-win/Uninstall.exe.sig
> ]]]
>
> The notable changes compared to 8.5.84 are:
>
> - The default value of <code>AccessLogValue</code>'s file encoding is
>    now UTF-8.
>
> - Correct a regression in the refactoring that replaced the use of the
>    URL constructors. The regression broke lookups for resources that
>    contained one or more characters in their name that required escaping
>    when used in a URI path.
>
> - When an HTTP/2 stream was reset, the current active stream count was
>    not reduced. If enough resets occurred on a connection, the current
>    active stream count limit was reached and no new streams could be
>    created on that connection.
>
> - Change the default of the org.apache.el.GET_CLASSLOADER_USE_PRIVILEGED
>    system property to true unless the EL library is running on Tomcat in
>    which case the default remains false as the EL library is already
>    called from within a privileged block and skipping the unnecessary
>    privileged block improves performance.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>
> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-8.5.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.85/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1416
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.85/
> 7b1f4ce0b82641bf76a3d763bd97d5522513b57b
>
> The proposed 8.5.85 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.85 (stable)

Works on a vanilla servlet-based application in a development
environment. All unit tests pass on Linux on Java 8 (with known
exceptions in my environment). *ALL* unit tests pass when using Java 11.

Details:

* Environment
*  Java (build):     openjdk version "1.8.0_292" OpenJDK Runtime
Environment (build 1.8.0_292-8u292-b10-0+deb9u1-b10) OpenJDK 64-Bit
Server VM (build 25.292-b10, mixed mode)
*  Java (test):     openjdk version "1.8.0_292" OpenJDK Runtime
Environment (build 1.8.0_292-8u292-b10-0+deb9u1-b10) OpenJDK 64-Bit
Server VM (build 25.292-b10, mixed mode)
*  OS:       Linux 5.10.0-19-amd64 x86_64
*  cc:       cc (Debian 10.2.1-6) 10.2.1 20210110
*  make:     GNU Make 4.3
*  OpenSSL:  OpenSSL 1.1.1 11 Sep 2018
*  APR:      1.7.0
*
* Valid SHA-512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.85.zip
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.85.zip
* Valid SHA-512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.85.tar.gz
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.85.tar.gz
* Valid SHA-512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.85.exe
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.85.exe
* Valid Windows Digital Signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.85.exe
* Valid SHA512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.85-src.zip
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.85-src.zip
* Valid SHA512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.85-src.tar.gz
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.85-src.tar.gz
*
* Binary Zip and tarball: Same
* Source Zip and tarball: Same
*
* Building dependencies returned: 0
* tcnative builds cleanly
* Tomcat builds cleanly
* Junit Tests: FAILED
*
* Tests that failed:
* org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.TestPEMFile.APR.txt
* org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.TestPEMFile.NIO.txt
* org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.TestPEMFile.NIO2.txt

-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.85 (round 2)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> The proposed 8.5.85 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.85 (stable)

Unit tests pass on Linux.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.85 (round 2)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> The proposed 8.5.85 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.85 (stable)

Still running the unit tests but I wanted to confirm that I have
repeated the build using the new 8.5.85 tag and have confirmed that the
resulting artifacts are identical to those previously uploaded.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.85 (round 2)

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 9:17 PM Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.85 release is now available for voting.
>
> [[[
> Note that the previous tag has been replaced with a new one which
> contains the signature files produced during the release-build. The
> commit-id of the tag has therefore changed as noted later in this
> message. The files uploaded to the Tomcat release directory and to Maven
> are unchanged. There are no other changes to the tag from the previous
> 8.5.85 tag. The files added are:
>
> res/install-win/tomcat-installer.exe.sig
> res/install-win/Uninstall.exe.sig
> ]]]
>
> The notable changes compared to 8.5.84 are:
>
> - The default value of <code>AccessLogValue</code>'s file encoding is
>    now UTF-8.
>
> - Correct a regression in the refactoring that replaced the use of the
>    URL constructors. The regression broke lookups for resources that
>    contained one or more characters in their name that required escaping
>    when used in a URI path.
>
> - When an HTTP/2 stream was reset, the current active stream count was
>    not reduced. If enough resets occurred on a connection, the current
>    active stream count limit was reached and no new streams could be
>    created on that connection.
>
> - Change the default of the org.apache.el.GET_CLASSLOADER_USE_PRIVILEGED
>    system property to true unless the EL library is running on Tomcat in
>    which case the default remains false as the EL library is already
>    called from within a privileged block and skipping the unnecessary
>    privileged block improves performance.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>
> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-8.5.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.85/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1416
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.85/
> 7b1f4ce0b82641bf76a3d763bd97d5522513b57b
>
> The proposed 8.5.85 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.85 (stable)

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.85 (round 2)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

I could use some more votes for this release.

Thanks,
-chris

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Konstantin,

On 1/18/23 02:03, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> чт, 12 янв. 2023 г. в 23:17, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
>>
>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.85 release is now available for voting.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> The notable changes compared to 8.5.84 are:
>>
>> - The default value of <code>AccessLogValue</code>'s file encoding is
>>     now UTF-8.
>
> Chris,
> 1) a typo above, Value -> Valve

Thanks. I'll fix that in the release announcement.

> 2) Note the EOL announcement
> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-85-eol.html

Thanks for the reminder. I'll add this to the release announcement as well.

And thanks for the vote!

-chris

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
чт, 12 янв. 2023 г. в 23:17, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.85 release is now available for voting.
>
> [...]
>
> The notable changes compared to 8.5.84 are:
>
> - The default value of <code>AccessLogValue</code>'s file encoding is
>    now UTF-8.

Chris,
1) a typo above, Value -> Valve

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.85 (round 2)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

The following votes were cast:

Binding:
+1: markt, schultz, remm, kkolinko

No other votes were cast, the vote therefore passes. Thanks to everyone
who contributed to this release.

Thanks,
-chris