Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by sjcarroll6 <sj...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/26 12:19:59 UTC

JSON Based Tree View

I've been skimming the tutorial and wanted to know if there was an equivalent
JSON based TreeView similar to the JSON based Table View. In demo's I know
there is the JSON-Viewer app which programmatically builds the tree but I
was curious if you could also do it by supplying JSON similar to the XML
example.

Thanks

Re: JSON Based Tree View

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
It is doable, but it is not quite as straightforward. Tree branches are modeled as instances of List, but they also have properties such as "label" and "icon". An XML element is easily modeled as a list with properties, but JSON doesn't have a similar construct: a JSON list can't have properties, and a JSON map can't have indexed children. That's why the data is copied in the JSON viewer example.

It might be possible to wrap a JSON structure such as the following in a custom tree node class:

root: {
  label: "Foo",
  children: [
    {label: "Bar 1", children: [ ... ] },
    {label: "Bar 1", children: [ ... ] }, ...
  ]
}

public class TreeNode implements List<TreeNode> {
  public String getLabel() { ... }

  // etc.
}

You could try prototyping that and see what kind of issues you might run into.